at Facebook in Augusta, Maine, United States
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Our Statistics & Privacy team focuses on establishing step-change improvements to advance our long-term business growth. The team’s expertise spans many domains including statistics, machine learning, economics, and cryptography. We develop methodologies, design and prototype solutions, and partner with our engineering colleagues to launch these solutions such that millions of advertisers can benefit.
We seek Research Scientists with demonstrated leadership experience and a track record of innovation to identify new opportunities and help build scientifically rigorous systems focused on enhancing technological guarantees for consumer privacy while simultaneously expanding the efficiency of Facebook’s market-leading advertising systems. Challenges include leveraging privacy-enhancing technologies such as multi-party computation, homomorphic encryption, federated analytics, and differential privacy to develop privacy-focused advertising solutions (private record-linkage, fraud prevention, reporting and experimentation, and collaborative inference) – all while maintaining performance at massive scale.
1. Identify specific, high-impact research opportunities to develop new and improve existing privacy-preserving advertising solutions
2. Design, develop and implement new methods or algorithms for privacy-preserving solutions. Assess the validity and rigor of new approaches
3. Build cross-functional relationships with Engineering, Product, and AI teams to shape long-term product roadmaps with a balance of scientific rigor and strategic considerations
4. Learn new tools, systems, and programming languages quickly as required by the particular project you are working on
5. Develop patent applications, white pa