at Penobscot County Commissioners in Bangor, Maine, United States
Under the supervision of the Director of I.T. and System Administrators, the primary role of the Technical Services Specialist (TSS) is to assist with maintenance of all aspects of Penobscot County’s computer and telephony infrastructure. This includes assisting with maintenance and deployments of workstations, network switches, routers, firewalls, servers, server applications, desktop applications, and security programs and systems. The TSS is also responsible for assisting with troubleshooting to address any problems with computer systems, and assessing viruses and potential threats.
- Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems and end-user workstation computers
- Provides server support related to other software
- Performs troubleshooting as required
- Ensures that help desk records and equipment inventory are properly maintained
- Provides help desk support, including maintaining, repairing and upgrades for computers, networks, printers, peripherals and software
- Manages user accounts (such as email, domain, database and VPN), including creating new user accounts, monitoring and changing account privileges, and closing accounts for terminated employees
- Provide professional and timely communication with end users in order to understand their information management needs and assist in providing solutions to those needs
- Performs other related duties as required
High School diploma or GED equivalent required, Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred. One (1) year of experience of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, with a demonstrated ability to solve most system issues. Knowledge of various desktop and server operating systems including, but not limited to: Microsoft Windows (up to Windows 10); Microsoft Windows Server (up to Server 2019); and some familiarity with Linux/Unix operating systems. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing is required. Ability to work in a team setting with commitment to high level of customer service is required. Must be able to prioritize and work under pressure to meet deadlines. Must be able to pass a pre-employment background screening to meet CJIS compliance standards and complete all applicable training within required timeframes.
The work environment is typically in an office environment and uses a computer(s), test equipment and software, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The position will sometimes require work in other office areas and locations. Respect for and understanding of those various work environments is necessary. Work may require travel and meeting from time to time. Employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the workday.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard. Light to moderate lifting is required (up to 50 lbs.)
Penobscot County provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.