at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
The Genetic Engineering Technologies (GET) Laboratory at JAX has an opening for a Molecular & Cell Biology Technician to join their Team!
Under minimal supervision, the Technician is capable of understanding molecular design/processes, executing the necessary molecular lab protocols critical to the creation, and validation of, genetically engineered animals. This individual reports to the Cell Biology lab manager in GET. The Technician also works in tight alignment with GET Study Directors and other GET staff members to ensure rapid turnaround of high quality molecular data. The Technician will be expected to identify and pursue process improvements to increase capabilities and capacity.
* Molecular biology lab activities - Candidates should be capable of executing, and documenting, molecular biology protocols with highly reproducible results in an efficient and timely manner. Techniques include, but are not limited to, PCR, sequencing, plasmid cloning and scaled preparation, RNA synthesis, DNA/RNA analysis (gel restriction digests/Southern blot, Sanger sequence analysis). Accurate and detailed documentation of sample records is critical.
* Mammalian cell culture - maintain and genetically modify
mammalian cell lines (mouse embryonic) using SOP aseptic techniques while
ensuring health and developmental potency of cell lines for subsequent use in the production of genetically modified animals. Reproducibility and detailed
documentation of sample records is critical.
* General laboratory operations - Maintaining reagent inventories, monitoring/calibrating/cleaning equipment.
* SOP and Safety - Develops, writes and revises document templates and relevant SOPs. Implements and ensures SOPs are followed while adhering to laboratory safety policies.
* Process Improvement - Strives to increase efficiencies by identifying, proposing and implementing process or technical improvements to increase throughput, reduce cost and decrease turn around time.
* High performance environment - Demonstrates and drives a positive, high
performance environment with a culture of teamwork, continuous improvement and customer focus. They work collaboratively within GET team to leverage expertise to maximize success and resource use. They ensure a safe work environment is maintained at all times.
* Other responsibilities as assigned. This position may occasionally require non-standard working hours (weekends).
The wage range is $24.18 - $30.23 per hour. Pay will be determined based upon qualifications and experience.
* B.S. in a Molecular Biology, Genetics or related discipline
* Minimum of one year experience wet bench experience, preferably in a molecular or cell culture based laboratory.
* Minimum of 2 years' experience performing molecular biology and/or cell culture based research. Demonstrated ability to apply molecular techniques to solve operational problems with high independence. Demonstrated expertise in general lab techniques with an expertise in molecular and cellular technologies including, but not limited to, DNA purification methods, vector construction, BAC recombineering, sequencing, in vitro transcription, PCR genotyping, Southern blotting.
* Excellent research task oversight skills including adherence to procedures, best practices and detailed documentation/record keeping.
* Superior organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple demands and work efficiently under pressure; excellent communication skills,.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively exchange information and handle problems with people from a wide variety of background levels
* Demonstrated ability to utilize standard office software (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc) or other Project Management/LIMS software solutions.
The Jackson Laboratory is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and nearly 3,000 employees in locations across the United States (Maine, Connecticut, California),Japan andChina. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
Founded in 1929, JAX applies over nine decades of expertise in genetics to increase understanding of human disease, advancing treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease. It models and interprets genomic complexity, integrates basic research with clinical application, educates current and future scientists, and provides critical data, tools and services to the global biomedical community. For more information, please visit.
EEO... For full info follow application link.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.