at State of Maine, Bureau of Human Resources in Portland, Maine, United States
Chief Operating Officer, Office of the Health Insurance MarketplacePortland, ME | Management & Supervisory | Full-time | Partially remote Apply by: June 23, 2023 Apply with Linkedin Apply
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)Public Service Executive IIOpening Date: May 25, 2023Closing Date: June 23, 2023Job Class Code: EA36
Salary: $85,051.20 – $115,835.20Position Number: 02000-3877
Office of the Health Insurance Marketplace (OHIM) seeks a Chief Operating Officer who will work collaboratively with the Executive Director to oversee the operations of the Office as well as manage special initiatives of the Maine Health Insurance Marketplace. The Chief Operating Officer will serve as a strategic leader for OHIM by implementing, administering, and evaluating initiatives and working with the Director and OHIM staff to deliver an excellent user experience. Key priorities for this position will be to ensure that OHIM and its contracted providers are well-positioned to serve an expanding population of insured Maine residents. Other duties include:
- Providing day to day leadership and management to the Office and directly supervising over 7 employees.
- Liaising with DHHS Human Resources to grow the Office by recruiting and training qualified applicants.
- Working directly with the Program Financial Officer (PFO) to maintain the financial health of the Office, including developing the annual budget, reviewing and approving invoices, reviewing and maintaining vendor contracts.
- Developing all Requests for Proposals (RFP) for the Office and serving as the primary OHIM point of contact for the Division of Contract Management (DCM) during the entire RFP process with continued oversight and management of all vendors after successful RFP through the lifecycle of their contract with the Office.
- End-to-end oversight of special projects including convening and facilitating work groups, implementing new legislative mandates, and leading cross-Office and cross-Department initiatives.
- Within OHIM, conduct strategic planning focused on policy development, applications services, data services, infrastructure, and improving the consumer experience for the Marketplace.
- Ensuring the Office’s compliance with all applicable state and federal regulatory standards including but not limited to: MARS-E, IRS 1075, and CMS security standard protocols; scope includes being OHIM point for State and Federal Audits of the Office.
- Liaising with the Department of Administrative and Financial Services (DAFS), Office of Information Technology (OIT), DHHS Security Officer, and leads for other DHHS Offices and external agencies on collaborative projects.
- Leading and maintaining the Office’s efforts to create documentation for processes and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in the oversight or management of commercial health insurance enrollment or regulatory systems in government or the commercial sector is highly preferred.
- Experience representing an agency or organization with senior external stakeholders (e.g. legislators, business partners).
- Experience managing compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Experience coordinating a diverse team of staff, vendors, business stakeholders, and subject-matter experts.
- Experience directly supervising a team of 5 or more employees is highly preferred.
- Experience in governmental agencies or large, complex organizations in areas such as operational oversight, policy implementation, interagency communication, and management.
- Leadership experience at a complex organization is highly preferred.
- Experience managing large, complex budgets with multiple funding sources.
Agency information:The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is dedicated to promoting health, safety, resilience, and opportunity for Maine people. The Department provides health and social services to approximately a third of the State’s population, including children, families, older Mainers, and individuals with disabilities, mental illness, and substance use disorders. The Department also promotes public health, operates two state psychiatric hospitals, and provides oversight to health care providers.
The Maine DHHS Office of the Health Insurance Marketplace (OHIM) operates CoverME.gov, Maine’s Health Insurance Marketplace. Following a successful implementation executed in under 12 months, CoverME.gov completed its first Open Enrollment period in January 2022 with nearly an 11% increase in plan selections from the prior year.
OHIM is a small, dynamic team driven by the dual missions of optimizing consumer experience and increasing enrollment in health coverage among eligible populations. Successful candidates will be team players who thrive in a fast-paced environment and share a commitment to ensuring that all Maine residents can access quality, affordable health insurance coverage. Position is located in Portland, Maine. (Flexibility for hybrid remote work within the State of Maine available)
Please submit all documents or files in a PDF or Word format. For additional information about this position please contact Desirea Chase at (207) 441-0465 or by email email@example.com. To apply, please upload a recent resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications and preferences noted above.
To request a paper application, please contact Ashley.Smith@Maine.gov (Ashley.Vigue@Maine.gov) .
BenefitsNo matter where you work across Maine state government, you find employees who embody our state motto-“Dirigo” or “I lead”-as they provide essential services to Mainers every day. We believe in supporting our workforce’s health and wellbeing with a valuable total compensation package, including:
+ Work-Life Balance – Rest is essential. Take time for yourself using 13 paid holidays , 12 days of sick leave , and 3+ weeks of vacation leave annually. Vacation leave accrual increases with years of service, and overtime-exempt employees receive personal leave.
+ Health Insurance Coverage – The State of Maine pays 85%-100% of employee-only premiums ($10,150.80-$11,942.16 annual value), depending on salary. Use this chart to find the premium costs for you and your family, including the percentage of dependent coverage paid by the State.
+ Health Insurance Premium Credit – Participation decreases employee-only premiums by 5%. Visit the Office of Employee Health and Wellness for more information about program requirements .
+ Dental Insurance – The State of Maine pays 100% of employee-only dental premiums ($350.40 annual value).
+ Retirement Plan – The State of Maine contributes 13.16 % of pay to the Maine Public Employees Retirement System (MainePERS), on behalf of the employee.
+ Gym Membership Reimbursement – Improve overall health with regular exercise and receive up to $40 per month to offset this expense.
+ Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts – Set aside money pre-tax to help pay for out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or daycare expenses.
+ Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness – The State of Maine is a qualified employer for this federal program. For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid office .
+ Living Resources Program – Navigate challenging work and life situations with our employee assistance program.
+ Parental leave is one of the most important benefits for any working parent. All employees who are welcoming a child-including fathers and adoptive parents-receive four weeks of fully paid parental leave . Additional, unpaid leave may also be available, under the Family and Medical Leave Act (https://www