in CUMBERLAND-Portland-Metro County, ME
The Dental Hygienist performs duties according to accepted practices of the dental hygiene field and Greater Portland Health Clinic policies and procedures using independent judgment in decision making. Work is reviewed for overall soundness in judgment and all unusual problems or circumstances are discussed with supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:*
A. Clinical Duties:
· Assists with the preparation for the dental examinations and procedures, including completing and reviewing medical histories, charting and probing when necessary.
· Assists the dentist with patient examinations by exposing and developing x-rays and performing prophylaxis and fluoride applications.
· Instructs patients on the practices of basic oral hygiene and provide post-operative instructions, when necessary.
· Performs sealant applications when deemed necessary.
· Instructs patients with nutrition counseling pertinent to oral hygiene needs.
· Educates patients and parents regarding oral hygiene needs.
· Assist with the organizing of hygiene scheduling and patient load.
· Interacts harmoniously and effectively with others, focusing up on the attainment of organizational goals and objectives through a commitment to teamwork.
· Conforms to acceptable attendance and punctuality standards as expressed in the Employee Handbook.
· Complies with all safety rules and protocols, as established by the Environment of care Committee. Immediately reports any workplace injury to supervisor.
· Abides by the organizations compliance program and its requirements.
· Current on all required training for current year.
· Will have up to date training and certification in Basic Life Support.
· Performs all other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
B. Community Duties:
· Prepares and performs professional oral hygiene presentations, delivers educational demonstrations throughout the communities served.
· May serve on a dental coalition, council or advisory board as deemed pertinent to GPH.
· Organizes and publicizes presentations in public facilities such as malls, libraries, schools, etc.
· Coordinate with public schools to assist with dental health education programs, including the training and monitoring.
· Coordinate with public schools to assist with dental screenings.
· Perform other related duties, as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS:
· Registered Dental Hygiene Degree.
· Northeast Regional Board of Dental Examiners Certificate.
· Must hold a valid State of Maine Dental Hygiene License and be registered with the State of Maine Board of Dental Examiners.
· Will have up-to-date training and certification in Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support issued by American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or American Health & Safety Institute. Must obtain within 3 months if not current at hire.
· Will have up-to-date training and certification in Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support issued by American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or American Health & Safety Institute. Must obtain within three months if not current at hire.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
· Experience in private practice as well as public health hygiene.
· Knowledge of basic dental equipment, instruments, and x-ray machines.
· Knowledge of clinical sterilization practices.
· Ability to create and maintain accurate records and files.
· Basic computer knowledge- Dental software experience preferred.
· Ability to create and present oral hygiene educational materials.
· Ability to effectively communicate with children and their parents, adult patients, coworkers, school administrators, city and town officials, and the public in a courteous, tactful and professional manner.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
· Frequent exposure to communicable diseases and other conditions common to a medical practice setting.
· May include working with people in acute distress or crisis.
· Normal medical office environment.
· Normally seated with freedom of movement on a regular basis, operating office machines and handling light materials and supplies in a typical office environment setting. May frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· May spend extended periods operating desktop computer, requiring hand-eye coordination and finger dexterity; and communicating face-to-face, on the telephone and in writing.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
· Frequent physical activity requires standing and walking.
· Periodic physical activity requires climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
· May require travel to other Greater Portland Health sites and partnering organizations in the Greater Portland area to attend meetings.