at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
The Senior Director of In Vivo Operations is responsible for determining the scientific direction of In Vivo services and ensuring efficient high-quality operations within the In Vivo group, which executes client-funded pharmacology studies in the fields of neurodegenerative and neuromuscular disease, autoimmunity, diabetes, etc. The overarching responsibility of the incumbent is to implement policies, procedures, and systems that ensure smooth laboratory operations; achieve annual quality, efficiency, and financial goals; and enhance the customer experience and satisfaction.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions
* Leads scientific operations and plays a major role in establishing the
scientific strategy of the group.
* Communicates effectively internally (within JAX). Represents JAX in key
customer discussions involving scientific capabilities and studies.
* Manages Study Directors and liaises with suppliers to ensure timely and
cost-effective completion of client studies.
* Manages staff, overseeing scheduling, training and development,
performance evaluations, and establishment of goals and priorities.
* Ensures compliance with policies, study protocols, and procedures,
including stringent animal welfare policies and procedures.
* Oversees laboratory database systems, ordering, stocking, and quality
assurance programs. Ensures department efficiency and financial targets
for resource utilization are met.
* As JAX Preclinical Services expands, ensures process oriented change
control: that platform technologies and study protocols are set up and
validated, and that the customer experience is seamless. Ensures appropriate staffing levels to support growth and expansion.
* Performs other related duties as needed and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Minimum of MS degree with preference in life science or operations field of study. PhD and/or MBA desirable.
* 12+ years of experience in scientific operations management in a contract research organization, with documented proficiency in leading multidisciplinary teams of technical professionals preferred. Experience in mouse-based research a plus.
* Expertise in various therapeutic area studies, including neuro behavioral, autoimmunity, oncology, etc.
* Demonstrated excellence in business and science communication.
* Ability to meet with customers and to attend scientific meetings to represent JAX scientific capabilities.
* Proven ability to lead, develop, train, and mentor staff.
* Must be a self-motivated, team-oriented, patient, and disciplined problem solver and solution
* Demonstrated ability to be a positive team player across diverse internal and external
* Strong project and interpersonal management skills.
* Must possess the ability to develop and deliver training material.
* Demonstrated successful experience in optimizing the efficiency and quality of complex operations.
* Excellent personnel management, communication, negotiation, and relationship skills.
* Advanced analytical skills are required.
* Strong leadership skills, including a demonstrated ability to build key relationships, andinfluence and motivate others.
* The position requires regular on-site presence.
Pay Range: $151502.86 - $260420.79
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,400 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients' lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 "Best Places to Work in Academia" in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.