at City of Westbrook in Westbrook, Maine, United States
The City of Westbrook is hiring for the position of Systems Operator II. Under direction, performs a variety of maintenance and construction tasks related to public works particularly in the area of sanitary sewer collection systems; operates all trucks, which includes proficient operation of the “Flush-Vac unit, front end loaders, snowplows, various types of light equipment and hand tools as required. The department consists of four Systems Operators, one supervisor, and one manager. The Wastewater division of the Public Services Department is responsible for 13 pump stations, 1,625 publicly owned manholes, ad 67 miles of sewer pipe.
The City of Westbrook is deeply committed to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion, especially in our hiring process; as a result, we are willing to train candidates without any previous experience. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. The City will provide classroom and on-the-road training to obtain the Class B CDL license at no charge to the employee.
- Performs work common to sewer collection operations.
- Operates various construction vehicles and equipment and is proficient or can learn to be proficient in the operation and maintenance of the Flush-Vac unit.
- Performs inspection of lift stations, minor repairs to pumps, motors, and related equipment.
- Performs and actively participates in snowplowing and snow removal operations.
- Performs duties in a teaming concept and communicates within the work team.
- Takes an active role in safety and technical training programs.
- Keeps accurate records and reports.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, desire, dedication, and listens.
- Customer focused and committed to quality service.
- Places an emphasis on safety, efficiency, quality, and productivity.
- Treats co-workers with courtesy and respect.
- Promotes good internal and external customer relations.
- Works harmoniously with others including other divisions and departments.
- May participate in specific City functions such as voting setup.
- Repair aging manhole structures, replace frames and covers and adjust structures to grade.
- Confined space entry
- Communicate effectively with owners, employees, customers, regulatory personnel and others.
- And other related duties as required.
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of experience in the field of construction or work relating to public works particularly in the area of sewer collection systems.
- Must possess a valid State of Maine commercial driver’s license.
- Ability to acquire a Class B license with a Tank endorsement within the first 6 months. The City of Westbrook will provide classroom and on the road training to obtain the Class B license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Grade II level of the Voluntary Collection Systems Certification within the first 6 months.
- Ability to operate all types of trucks and light equipment common to sewer related collection operations.
- Ability to follow and understand oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance equipment techniques and characteristics of materials used in public works and sewer collection operations.
- Ability to learn and apply safety standards and practices.
- Intermediate computer skills with the ability to learn and successfully use new computers and associated software programs as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and employees.
- Ability to learn, grow, and develop.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- We offer a $1,500 sign on bonus to be distributed in two lump sum payments.
- Competitive salary range of $25.93 - $27.33/hour depending on experience.
- A comprehensive benefits package includes medical (PPO plan at 12% premium cost, plus HRA reimbursement), dental, vision, life insurance (one times base salary), short and long-term disability, and employee assistance program
- Generous paid leave including vacation, sick and 13 holiday per year.
- Tuition reimbursement at 75% for job-related courses.
- Retirement program of the Maine Public Employees Retirement Plan (Maine PERS) or defined 457 with matching up to 6%.
- Interested applicants should send their resume and letter of interest to the Human Resources Department at HR@westbrook.me.us.
The City of Westbrook is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBT+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Applicants selected as finalist for this position will be subject to a comprehensive reference and background check and medical clearance.