at CTG in Portland, Maine, United States
Database Administrator III
Jan 26, 2023Post Date
Apply for JobShare this JobSign Up for Job Alerts
CTG is seeking to fill aDatabase Engineeropening for our client based in Buffalo, New York.
Duration: 6 months, with potential for extension
Job Title: Database Administrator III
Pay Rate: Based on experience
We are looking for a database engineer:
- They will work closely with engineering management and other engineers to develop and deploy infrastructure as code.
- This role is going to be 75% day to day work including on call and 25% of their work will be automation.
- Looking for them to have experience automating within databases technologies Oracle 19c and Exadata
- Demonstrated initiative, sound judgment, and ability to work independently and as a team player
- Must have strong experience with Oracle 5 years plus
- Must have strong experience with Linux 5 years plus
- Experience with Ansible 3 years plus (Or other automation technology salt, chef, puppet)
- Experience with source code management and automated build technologies like Git, GitHub, GitLab, Azure Pipelines, Maven, Jenkins, udeploy, etc. 3 years plus
- Experience with Python, Shell (KSH,BASH), PowerShell, Terraform or other scripting language 3 years plus
- Experience with one of the major clouds (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Agile methodologies, such as scrum or SAFe
- Familiar with the following technologies, Networking, VMWare, Hypervisors, Active Directory, Kerberos, etc.
Provides Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) support to applications supported by assigned department. Works with Application Teams, Team Leads and other Database Administrators to design and specify RDBMS solutions based on standard offerings to support development of new or enhancements of existing applications. Serves as principal RDBMS solution designer for small to large/complex (size/risk) application projects, including business critical applications, using analytical skills, technical skills, available technology and tools. Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for RDBMS-related initiatives, discretionary projects, compliance/regulatory requirements and system changes for Application Database Services (ADBS) supported applications and department-wide initiatives.
- Provide technical leadership.
- Complete and oversee basic to complex database analysis, design and development efforts.
- Develop plans for database implementation, data source integration and data archiving and recovery.
- Manage, direct, oversee and/or review execution of small to large size/risk project plans on assigned applications and ensure complete understanding of tasks and dependencies and mitigation of issues.
- Contribute to advanced, complex technical projects or business issues requiring state-of-the-art technical or industry knowledge.
- Maintain a strong functional understanding of supported applications. Maintain a current understanding of the business environment supported to provide expert guidance for technical, business and operational impacts associated with a project or production problem.
- Recommend RDBMS designs based on business requirements, technology roadmap, RDBMS functionality, knowledge of interfacing technology and clear understanding of customer expectations.
- Evaluate and understand complex interrelationships and effects among RDBMS, interfacing applications and operating systems.
- Provide highly analytical consulting and leadership in identifying and implementing new uses of database technologies to assist business units in meeting strategic objectives.
- Prepare thorough and clear technical specifications, and update systems, standards and RDBMS process documentation.
- Prepare and review assessments to include required tasks, estimated time frames and effort for small to large size/risk scope project.
- Build positive client relationships by addressing client needs in a manner that safeguards their business and customers, with minimal complexity, risks and costs.
- Build rapport within the organization and across other technical teams.
- Assist with coordination of annual disaster recovery exercises and remediate issues.
- Assist others on project execution and production support for all applications and project sizes.
- Work with internal and external application and technology stakeholders to review status of initiatives, compliance/regulatory changes, planned or potential vendor changes and contractual and/or system maintenance changes.
- Ensure identification and resolution of issues and concerns related to discretionary enhancement requests, application reliability changes and/or production problem resolution.
- Identify new technology that increases technical support efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide functional feedback to internal application owners and technology stakeholders on current or proposed RDBMS to extent it supports predefined business needs.
- Identify performance and effectiveness enhancement opportunities and recommend new policies and procedures that support improvement.
Scope of Responsibilities:
The job holder works under supervision of a Technology Manager and is responsible for maintaining a strong degree of technical RDMS knowledge and contributing to solution design, departmental strategies and resource allocations of the department. Responsibilities of the position may include problem resolution, systems development and day-to-day activities. This position assumes responsibility for contributing to the growth and development of less experienced personnel. The position delivers small group training/brown bag to increase team proficiency and technical development and provides backup to more experienced personnel as required. The job holder may be called upon to serve as a technical representative on committees, ad-hoc projects, etc. The position interacts, on a regular basis with Technology staff and application teams and leadership, as well as vendors.
Education and Experience Required:
- Associates degree and 6 years RDBMS experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 8 years higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 6 years RDBMS experience.
- Proficiency with RDBMS tools and functions.
- Prior experience working on multiple small to large projects of low to high complexity.
- Experience working with large system and RDBMS enhancements, conversions and production problem resolution.
- Experience working with others to connect disparate ideas into cohesive solutions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to assist in issue resolution.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong lateral thinking skills.
- Good presentation skills.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Bachelors degree.
- Minimum of 3 years experience with Bank applications, framework, business needs and RDBMS direction and framework.
- Capable of mentoring and leading RDBMS project analysis, design, development, troubleshooting and tuning efforts.
- Mastery level understanding of single RDBMS skills, tools and functions with strong knowledge of operating systems.
- Previous experience in banking RDBMS support.
- CAPPM experience.
- Ability to understand businesses supported and their terminology.
- Ability to encourage team work and serve as role model.
- Ability to understand technical, business and operational impacts of a project or problem.
- No third party resumes will be accepted
- CTG will