at Midcoast Maine Community Action in Bath, Maine, United States
The Family Advocate works with families of enrolled Head Start and Early Head Start students to help establish goals for personal, educational and vocational growth; identify problems and needs affecting or inhibiting the realization of these goals; and develop plans toward their achievement. Other responsibilities include: conducting comprehensive family intakes and assessments to determine risk factors for families; assisting family members in obtaining appropriate community services; and advocating on their behalf when needed.
This person will perform periodic progress reviews to ensure services are being utilized in an effective and timely manner by the families and are appropriate for addressing family needs, and will work with families to make changes as necessary. The Family Advocate also participates in community outreach activities designed to assist with recruiting families and students to the Head Start and Early Head Start program. The position will be located in the Newcastle Head Start center and will also work with Head Start families in the Whitefield School center.
This position is full-time [37.5] and benefits eligible. MMCA offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; employer-paid life and disability insurance; financial support for professional development; paid vacation and sick/personal time; 13 paid holidays plus 2 floating holidays; and a 403(b) retirement plan with agency contribution after one year.
Rate of pay will be dependent upon experience and other qualifications.
- Bachelors degree in social work or related human service field required; LSW or MSW preferred.
- 3 years of prior experience in a related position, including experience in social service case management and supportive counseling, preferably working with low-income families.
- The successful candidate should have knowledge of family systems and ability to develop rapport and establish trust and respect with families.
- Must understand and maintain current knowledge of relevant laws and regulations pertaining to care of children and must also be familiar with the various state and local social services and resources available to low-income families.
- Proficiency with computers related software for data entry and recording of case notes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Must have a client-centered focus and a commitment to providing quality services in a helpful and professional manner.
- Ability to work as part of an integrated service team as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to organize paperwork to meet deadlines.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate automobile insurance per state standards, and access to reliable transportation; compliance with MMCA policies pertaining to safe vehicle operation required.
- Prior to starting employment, must be able to pass fingerprinted criminal background, child protective services, sex offender registry, and motor vehicle record checks, as required by state and federal childcare licensing regulations, that indicate no previous record of involvement with child abuse or exploitation and no disqualifying criminal or motor vehicle record that would preclude working with children.
- Persons offered employment must also provide a physician’s health statement, immunization records, and TB screening. Proof of full vaccination against COVID is required as a condition of employment unless exemption for medical or religious reasons is requested and approved in accordance with law.
- In accordance with Federal office of Head Start requirements all employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Medical/disability or religious exemptions may be requested and will be reviewed in accordance with State/Federal Laws.
Please forward a cover letter, resume with complete work history, and contact information for three professional references to Mid coast Maine Community Action.
Positions remain open until suitable candidates are found.
Midcoast Maine Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Please request any accommodations necessary to participate in the application process.