at Midcoast Maine Community Action in Bath, Maine, United States
If you enjoy helping young children learn and grow, come and be a part of our team! Midcoast Maine Community Action Head Start and Early Head Start programs are seeking Teacher Assistants in our location in Bath, Brunswick, and Newcastle. These positions are 35 hours a week, Monday through Friday.
Teacher Assistants work with the classroom teachers to ensure a safe, nurturing environment that maximizes participation, the ability to learn, and health and safety of all children in Head Start/Early Head Start classrooms. This includes providing support to children and using appropriate behaviors when interacting with the children and their families. These positions are also responsible for helping with the daily health and safety routines of the classroom and supporting the integration of special needs activities with other classroom activities.
Applicant must be 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and have experience working with young children. Vocational training in early childhood education is desired. Head Start staff work with children ages 3 to 5 years old, which includes preparing preschoolers for kindergarten. Early Head Start staff work with children ages 6 months to 3 years old.
- An associate degree in early childhood education or a related field, or a child Development Associate Certificate is preferred.
- Must have an interest in working with children from low- income families.
- Must be able to lift a child if necessary (approximately 40 pounds) and be capable of physically bending to a child’s level.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate automobile insurance per state standards, and access to reliable transportation; compliance with MMCA policies pertaining to safe vehicle operation required.
- Prior to starting employment, must be able to pass fingerprinted criminal background, child protective services, sex offender registry, and motor vehicle record checks, as required by state and federal childcare licensing regulations, that indicate no previous record of involvement with child abuse or exploitation and no disqualifying criminal or motor vehicle record that would preclude working with children.
- Persons offered employment must also provide a physician’s health statement, immunization records, and TB screening. Proof of full vaccination against COVID is required as a condition of employment unless exemption for medical or religious reasons is requested and approved in accordance with law.
- In accordance with Federal office of Head Start requirements all employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Medical/disability or religious exemptions may be requested and will be reviewed in accordance with State/Federal Laws.
Pay range is $16.00 to $18.50 per hour; the rate of pay will be dependent upon experience and other qualifications. Head Start Teacher Assistants are also currently eligible for a a $200-per-month bonus.
These positions are benefits eligible. MMCA offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; employer-paid life and disability insurance; financial support for professional development; paid vacation and sick/personal time; 13 paid holidays plus 2 floating holidays; and a 403(b) retirement plan with agency contribution after one year.
Please forward a cover letter, resume with complete work history, and contact information for three professional references to Mid coast Maine Community Action.
Positions will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
Midcoast Maine Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation or preference, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Please request any accommodations necessary to participate in the applicant process.