at Loving Care in Calais, Maine, United States
Job Summary: Provides supportive and hands-on assistance with daily living for older adults and people with disabilities with compassion, dignity, and respect. Provides services related to the physical requirements for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL’s), including health maintenance activities. Provides services according to an authorized plan of care.
- Graduate of an accredited High School or equivalent preferred.
- Ability read, write and follow directions.
- At least 18 years of age and has demonstrated competency.
- Personal Support Specialist Certificate (or agrees to complete training and attain certificate within six months of hire).
- Work positively and favorably with clients, families, and staff.
- Demonstrates compassion, responsibility, dignity and respect towards clients, families and staff.
- Able to demonstrate competency in all areas of training for Personal Support Specialist.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The responsibilities, work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Responsibilities/essential functions: The person in this position must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Follows the instructions of the client’s care plan and/or Clinical Coordinator in providing personal assistance services.
- Work every other weekend to maintain schedules based on client need.
- Assists with hygiene, such as bathing, oral care, and dressing.
- Assist with food preparation; serve food, performs errands, light housekeeping, laundry, wash dishes.
- Documents all ADL’s and IADL’s. Documents client’s refusal when adhering to the client’s care plan.
- Have knowledge of agency policy and procedures.
- Perform and record accurate measurements (i.e. vital signs, or intake/output as instructed in the care plans).
- Observe and report any safety hazards found in the client’s home or any significant observations regarding the client.
- Report client complaints to the Clinical Coordinator.
- Maintain client confidentiality/adheres to Confidentiality and HIPAA requirements and agency policy and procedures manual.
- Possess the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Report abnormal findings of client’s conditions as observed and per service plan to Clinical Coordinator.
- Follow all regulations, guidelines and policies put forth by the State of Maine and CDC regarding COVID-19.
- Other duties as assigned to cover schedules based on client need.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing and/or other communication capabilities to enable the employee to communicate effectively;
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form;
- Sufficient manual dexterity to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other related equipment;
- Sufficient personal and physical mobility to enable the employee to safely lift, move, or maneuver whatever may be necessary to successfully perform the duties of their position;
- Sufficient personal and physical mobility to enable the employee to efficiently perform light housekeeping duties in a home environment; and
- Sufficient personal and physical mobility to enable the employee to efficiently function in a home environment, with frequent travel to a variety of field sites.
Personal Support Specialists work in a home environment. Home environments have different noise levels, different temperature conditions and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset clients, staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Employees will travel to a variety of client homes and perform in conditions that vary greatly depending upon the client’s home environment. Some homes will be clean, neat, and maintained at comfortable temperature conditions. Other homes may be cluttered, dirty, with uncomfortable temperature conditions.
The above list reflects the essential functions and other job functions considered necessary of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job or assigned by supervisory personnel. This job description is used as a guide only and not inclusive of responsibilities and job duties.
By my signature, I acknowledge that I have read and understand this job description and its requirement and that I am expected to complete all duties as assigned. I understand the job functions may be altered from time to time.