at Eaton Peabody in York, Maine, United States
The Town of York, Maine is accepting applications for the position of Town Manager. Located in southern Maine, York comprises York Village, York Harbor, York Beach, and Cape Neddick. This beautiful and diverse town is known for its long sandy beaches, safe family-friendly beach town atmosphere, and community spirit. With easy access to I-95, York is just 44 miles south of Portland, Maine's largest city, minutes north of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and 65 miles north of Boston.
York operates under Select Board/Town Manager/Town Meeting form of government with a home rule Town Charter. The five members of the Select Board are elected for staggered 3-year terms. York has a year-round population of 13,723 which can increase to 40,000 in the summer and fall. York employs 102 full time staff, 13 year-round part-time staff, 100 part-time/seasonal staff, and 65 on-call firefighters. The Town has an annual budget of $25.2 million exclusive of schools.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward- thinking, fair-minded, transparent, thinks outside the box, plans for the long term and can lead the community;
- An effective and experienced Manager from an environment of similar complexity with proven organizational and professional skills;
- An individual who has strong skills in finance and capital planning, human resources, employee relations and unions, planning, and community and economic development;
- The ability to work positively and effectively with staff and promote positive morale and team building in the organization;
- Able to listen, engage, understand, and sustain relationships with all stakeholders (public and private partnerships);
- Articulates clearly achievable goals to staff, provides tools and resources to achieve the goals, and expects accountability;
- Experience working in a community with large seasonal population fluctuations and service requirements;
- An understanding of the issues of sustainability and climate change and the ability to assist the community to work though issues and develop solutions;
- An ability to implement diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives;
- A person of unquestionable ethics and integrity, committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association (ICMA) and Maine Town and City Management Association(MTCMA);
- Strong in written, verbal, and public presentation skills and able to promote the Town in a variety of communications; and
- Willing to engage and become part of the fabric of the community. Residency in York is preferred but not mandatory and Manager may reside outside of the Town with approval of the Select Board.
The Select Board is seeking candidates with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated executive municipal management experience as a Manager or similar related private business experience.
Applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, or a closely related field. Salary range is $135,000 to $155,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For further information about York please visit www.yorkmaine.org.
The Town of York is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and five (5) references by Tuesday July 26, 2022 to:
York Town Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
77 Sewall Street, Suite 3000
Augusta, Maine 04330