at Northern Light Health in Pittsfield, Maine, United States
Northern Light Sebasticook Valley Hospital
Department: RHC – Pittsfield
Position is located: SVH Family Care Pittsfield
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule:8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
The Patient Services Representative is responsible for providing office functions at Sebasticook Family Regional Care (SRVC) including but not limited to: Scheduling patients’ office appointments, greeting & registering customers, maintaining office supplies, answering telephones, maintaining patient records, and seeing that all patient registrations meet the Sebasticook Valley Health standard. Must collaborate and establish a good working rapport with all internal/external customers in order to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency. Portray a professional, courteous and helpful attitude to all customers.
1. Greets patients by telephone or in person in a friendly, courteous manner.
2. Answers and directs phone calls as appropriate, taking accurate messages and channeling them to the appropriate staff.
3. Schedules patient appointments – rescheduling as necessary.
4. Documents all required information appropriately in patient charts. (patient demographics, scanning insurance card, etc.)
5. Verify the patient’s insurance using the proper resource.
6. Collects co-pays and balance cash box daily.
7. Maintains and organizes patients’ charts by scanning documents in the appropriate chart and location, using the appropriate observation terms. Entering laboratory results accurately and timely.
8. Ensures completeness of patient files, research and locate missing documents, remove non-essential material; prepare and organize documents to conform to top quality control standards.
9. Complete outstanding orders as indexing is performed, as well as update any outstanding orders.
10. Perform job within allotted timeframe.
11. Demonstrate safe behavior in all aspects of job.
12. Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
13. Supports Sebasticook Valley Health.
14. Perform weekly/monthly reports through Meridios providing the MA’s with the patient list as required.
15. Assist w/monthly PCMH attestation
16. Utilize higher education, seminars, professional publications, and hospital in-services to remain current in profession.
17. Perform job duties by utilizing all resources with minimal waste of supplies, materials and time.
18. Properly utilize and maintains all equipment for the job.
19. Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
20. Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when appropriate.
21. Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
22. Other duties as requested by Director.
Competencies and skills:
- Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
- Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
- Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
- Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
- Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization’s benefit.
- Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
- Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
- Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
- Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
- Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
- Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
- Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
- High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
- Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
- Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
- Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
- Prolonged periods of sitting.
- Prolonged periods of standing.
- Prolonged periods of walking.