at Shaw's Supermarket in South Portland, Maine, United States
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Conduct periodic reviews of work practices and provide information to Store
• Achieve other objectives including, but not limited to food safety, workplace safety, and
• Other duties as assigned by Store Management.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
• Department Managers assign, review, and approve work of all clerks under his/her direct
• Department Managers must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed
and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
• Department Managers determine appropriate staffing levels for each shift based on
• The Department Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Make recommendations on staffing the Department; interviewing and hiring of
Department personnel; and promotion of associates;
• Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department personnel;
• Complete performance appraisals on all Department personnel;
• Impose discipline and recommend termination;
• Schedule work hours and time off for Department personnel;
• Authorize and assign overtime;
• Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
• Responsible for the supervision of the entire department.
• Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Director.
• Responsible to know, understand, and support department specific policies and
• Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
• Department Managers must take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
• Problem solving ability.
• Experience as an Assistant Department Manager or equivalent.
• Some on the job training is provided.