at Shaw's Supermarket in South Portland, Maine, United States
Deli Manager Job Code: 2401
Department: Deli Location: Retail Stores
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Assistant Deli Manager is responsible to assist the Deli Manager by providing direct
supervision of the Deli department operations including providing customer service and
assuring that associates are following company policies and procedures. He/she is
responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly,
responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is also responsible for achieving
production and budget objectives. This position includes performing stocking duties as
needed. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as he/she is the role model
for other associates.
• This position reports to: Deli Manager
• Positions that report directly to this position: Deli clerks, and any other clerk working in
the Deli Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Assist Department Manager in all aspects of the operation and supervision of the
Department including, but not limited to: supervision of Department personnel; providing
customer service; achieving sales, gross profit, labor, shrink and inventory goals set for
the Department; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization,
pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
• Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the
customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer
• Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to
on a regular basis.
• Perform job functions of other Department personnel in their absence and/or in addition
• In the absence of the Department Manager, the Assistant Department Manager is in
charge of the Department and performs the management functions of the Department.
• Effectively supervise 2 to 30 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment
and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
• Operate various store computer systems.