at Eaton Peabody in Wells, Maine, United States
The Town of Wells, Maine is accepting applications for the position of Town Manager. Wells, “The Friendliest Town in Maine” is located in southern Maine in York County. Its majestic marine shoreline sweeps in a crescent, bordering the mighty Atlantic Ocean with 7 miles of sandy beaches and rocky promontories. This rural, small-town Maine community is not just a wonderful vacation destination, it is also home to thousands of year-round residents and where you will find a strong sense of community wherever you go, and an outstanding school system. It is 28 miles southwest of Portland, Maine’s largest city, and 70 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts.
Wells operates under Select Board/Town Manager/Town Meeting form of government. Select Board members are elected for 3 year staggered terms. It has a year round population of 11,314 which can increase to 40,000 in the summer and fall. It has 100 full time staff, 150 part-time/seasonal staff, and an annual budget of $15,273,909 not including schools.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward- thinking, fair-minded, transparent, thinks outside the box, plans for the long term, and can lead the community;
- An effective and experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity with proven organizational and professional skills;
- An individual who has strong skills in finance (capital), human resources, employee relations and unions, planning, and community and economic development;
- Able to listen, engage, understand, and sustain relationships with all stakeholders (public and private partnerships);
- Articulates clearly achievable goals to staff, provides tools and resources to achieve the goals, and expects accountability;
- Experience working in a community with large seasonal population fluctuations and service requirements;
- A person of unquestionable ethics and integrity, committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association (ICMA) and Maine Town and City Management Association (MTCMA);
- Strong in written, verbal, and public presentation skills and able to promote the Town in a variety of communications;
- Willing to engage and become part of the fabric of the community. Residency in Wells is preferred but not mandatory. May reside outside of the Town with approval of the Select Board.
The Select Board is seeking candidates with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated executive municipal management experience as a Manager or similar related private business experience.
Applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration or a closely related field. Salary range is $110,000 to $130,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
Applicants must submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements and five (5) references by Wednesday, June 15, 2022 to:
Wells Town Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
77 Sewall Street, Suite 3000
Augusta, Maine 04330
For further information about the Town of Wells, please go to www.wellstown.org.
The Town of Wells is an Equal Opportunity Employer.