at CDM Smith in Lewiston, Maine, United States
CDM Smith is a multi-discipline engineering and architectural firm. Our firm is responsible for large-scale water and wastewater plant design, industrial facilities, office space design, facility planning and condition assessment work. As a Structural Engineer at CDM Smith you will have the opportunity to grow your career as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of technical experts working on challenging projects in Environment, Industry, and Water in the United States and beyond.
The position is open to a hybrid work schedule allowing work from home several days per week. This position will need to be located out of our office in Boston, MA.
The Structural Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Supervise a project team of structural engineers and modelers/drafters.
- Prepare scope of work and budget estimates, and monitor progress.
- Forecast workload and schedules.
- Develop structural design criteria for projects.
- Analyze and design structures for water and wastewater treatment, and other facilities.
- Prepare structural design calculations and check calculations prepared by others.
- Direct the development of structural drawings and models. Coordinate design with other disciplines.
- Review or write specifications. Develop new specifications as needed.
- Perform engineering services during construction, including review of shop drawing submittals and response to contractor questions.
- Conduct condition assessments of existing structures and prepare reports.
- Manage tasks on large projects or manage a number of small projects.
- Participate in new business development.
- Meet budgets and schedules on assigned projects while maintaining quality.
- Act as a mentor for junior staff.
Structural Engineer 4
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Architectural or Structural Engineering or related discipline. Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam in states where an EIT is not obtainable (within 18 months of hire or promotion or transfer).
- 5 years of related experience.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
- Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering.
- Registration as a Structural Engineer in the State of Texas.
- Experience in structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete, structural steel, reinforced masonry, and foundations.
- Advanced knowledge of building codes and application to design situations.
- Knowledge of commonly used computer software (Word, Excel,).
- Knowledge of structural and engineering applications (STAAD, RISA, Enercalc, MathCad, AutoCADD, Revit).
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Experience designing structures for water and wastewater treatment plants highly preferred.
- Experience with seismic design requirements is preferred
- Experience in structural condition assessments preferred.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
United States – Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No – We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong Knowledge of engineering principles of design.
- Expert Knowledge of Microsoft business software (excel, word, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Solid knowledge of engineering analysis/design software (e.g. RISA, STAAD, Revit).
- Ability to arrange/layout structural systems and elements for strength, stability, constructability, and construction economy.
- Solid Knowledge of computer assisted design and drafting (CADD/BIM) 3D and 4D software and practices.
U.S. Vaccine Status:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) are committed to your health and safety. CDM Smith and its employees adhere to all applicable government and client COVID-19 requirements.To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account