at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
Working under moderate supervision, the Environmental Services Technician position has the primary responsibility of cleaning properties owned or leased by The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) to promote the health and safety of The Jackson Laboratory's visitors and its employees.This includes traditional janitorial tasks like mopping and dusting, but also requires an understanding of proper handling and disposal of biological waste.
The incumbents may work a variety of shifts to include evening and week-end shifts to cover the operational demands of the Laboratory.These shifts are subject to change based on operational requirements.
* Sweep, mop (dry-wet), spot-clean and/or vacuum building floors.
* Clean restrooms and re-stocking them with supplies.
* Gather and empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers. Move/lift furniture and equipment. Handle bio-waste and/or recycling materials.
* Clean ceiling vents, horizontal/vertical surfaces, glass/mirrors, etc. Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs, make minor equipment adjustments/repairs, maintain equipment, re-stock/maintain supply area, special projects, etc.
* Other duties as assigned
* High School Diploma or equivalent required.
* Valid Driver's License
* Ability to understand written/verbal instructions and communicate effectively with others (to clearly and effectively exchange information)
* Ability to understand and follow Federal, State, and JAX safety rules and regulations, including wearing personal protective equipment as task require (PPE).
* Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects up to 50 pounds and walk up to 20,000 steps per day (equating to 10 miles per day) as standing, bending, and walking must be constant throughout an 8 hour shift aside from prescribed break times.
* Ability to acquire the knowledge to safely operate equipment used for cleaning, e.g. vacuum cleaners, floor cleaning equipment ex. auto-scrubber, etc. within 1 month of hire.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,400 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients' lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 "Best Places to Work in Academia" in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.