at The Baker Company Inc. in Sanford, Maine, United States
Be part of a company that leads the industry in clean air, containment and incubation technology, and help us support sustainable, environmentally friendly laboratories.
This position is responsible to grind and polish sheet metal and meet manufacturing requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Read and perform simple mathematical functions.
- Read and interpret blue prints and shop instructions.
- Basic mechanical skills using hand tools, power tools, hand trucks and pallet jacks.
- Must be able to distinguish between sealing surfaces and finish panels, thus determining what grind process is employed. (Some grinds are internal to the product and require little treatment, other grinds are external to the product and require a more critical and visually esthetic finish.)
- Must possess a good knowledge of the variety of grinding tools, equipment, abrasive wheels and paper, grit number and its proper usages and applications.
- Must be able to grind Cold Rolled Steel metal without weakening or breaking-thru the product, resulting in rework.
- Must be able to recognize and reject failed welds, breached welds, or insufficient welds, prior to or during the grind process.
- Meets and/or exceeds time/quality standards on assigned parts.
- Works under normal supervision.
- Make every effort to focus on doing-it-right to make sure the customer is happy or satisfied with our units.
- Provide value to our customers by using Lean tools and concepts to identify and eliminate waste in all forms (scrap/rework, transportation, motion, waiting, inventory, over production, over processing, and under-utilization of people). Uses systemic thinking by seeing processes from end to end and works to challenge the status quo to eliminate the root cause of problems. Is involved in individual and/or team activities that involve using Lean tools and concepts to improve the flow of information and material.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and leads.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS
- Meet production demand
- Safety conscious
- Must be able to lift parts/materials/units weighing up to 50 lbs. continuously.
- Must be able to lift materials weighing up to 75 lbs. frequently.
- Must be able to assist others in 2-person lifting requirements.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, climb or bend for the entire shift.
- Knowledge of hand tools. (Grinders, saws, cutting tools, measuring equipment, and various hand tools.)
- Prior sheet metal or machine shop experience or training is not essential, but helpful.