at Northern Light Health in Waterville, Maine, United States
Northern Light Inland Hospital
Department: Food and Nutrition Services
Position is located: Inland Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours)
Work Schedule: 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM
This position is accountable for the proper preparation and service of food for distribution to patients, cafeteria, standing requests and special events
1. Properly and safely pre-pares, prepares, cooks and assures portion control of hot and cold foods in a correct and timely manner. Minimizes waste.
2. Assures preparation of designated foods for the tray line. Sets up tray line steam table and serves patients’ hot foods.
3. Assures preparation of designated foods for standing requests.
4. Assures preparation and service and quality of designated foods for special events.
5. Properly opens/secures work area and turns off/on equipment during shift.
6. Inspects and tastes food for quality of preparation, service and preparation.
7. Follows regulations pertaining to kitchen sanitation and the proper handling and service of food. Maintains a clean work area. Washes pots/pans/utensils/equipment.
8. Assists in accurate receipt, placement and rotation of food and supplies. Breaks down boxes. May order food and supplies.
9. Properly answers office/kitchen telephone in the absence of office staff; making record of calls received.
10. Maintains good working relationships with patients, physicians, dietary staff, visitors and all personnel within the Inland family.
11. Directs the day-to-day operation of the kitchen including other employees.
12. May function in the cafeteria position.
13. Complies with Inland Hospital Hand Hygiene Standards.
14. Adheres to Inland Hospital Standards of Behavior.
15. Performs all other duties assigned.
Competencies and skills:
- Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
- Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
- Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
- Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization’s benefit.
- Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
- Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
- Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
- Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
- Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
- Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
- Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
- Utilizes Resources Effectively: Understands how to get the most out of available resources and uses cost-benefit thinking in decision-making and in setting priorities. Monitors and analyzes resource usage to identify and eliminate areas of waste and maximize resources. As a leader, defines targets and provides appropriate means; oversees progress and makes adjustments when necessary. Appropriately delegates work, sets clear direction and manages workflow and time.
- High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
- Work beyond the regularly scheduled hours.
- Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
- Continuous sitting.
- Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
- Continuous standing.
- Continuous walking.
- Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.