at Facebook in Augusta, Maine, United States
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs Research is dedicated to the research and development required to bring virtual and augmented reality to billions of people around the world. To give people the power to build community, to share what matters most to them, and to bring people closer together. To that end, our team is specifically focused on making interpersonal, social experience in virtual reality and augmented reality, perceptually indistinguishable from real life. Our goal? To enable the ability to interact with anyone, anytime, anywhere. At FRL Research, you will join a world-class team exploring cutting edge machine learning, computer vision, hardware, software, and state of the art Augmented and Virtual reality technology. Every day, you will work alongside the world’s leading Research Scientists, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers and Software Engineers to create the technology that will make VR and AR pervasive and universal.For this role, FRL Research is looking for an exceptional TPM Manager to join our team. If your passion and experience lies in working with multidisciplinary teams and building the right processes and methodologies for them. If you’ve had experience with complex cutting edge technology. If you thrive helping your team coordinate and collaborate in the face of ambitious and ambiguous challenges, taking on work that has never been done before. We might have a spot for you.
1. Directly manage a team of Technical Program Managers across multiple teams through coaching, mentoring and training. Holding a high standard of performance both personally and for the TPM Organization.
2. Establish best practices and refine processes for increased flexibility, communication and adaptability among research and development teams.
3. Drive technical excellence within the team, coordinating and contributing to project management practices, team road maps, workflow development, launch criteria, and test plans.
4. Coordinate communication between numerous internal and external teams, vendors and partners.
5. Engage with partner and cross-functional teams to identify constraints, dependencies, and coordination areas, to deliver features at high quality.
6. Identify resources needed and work closely with the team leads to maintain full visibility of multiple projects, ensuring resource gaps are addressed efficiently.
7. Partnering with research leads and leveraging technical expertise to understand the nature of the research. Translating that into goals, roadmaps, and strategy in partnership with key team leads.
8. Ensuring the members of their team are able work at their highest potential and able to play to their strengths. That conflicts (both technical and interpersonal) have paths toward resolution to allow the team to move forward.
9. Leverage the least amount of process to accomplish the goal. Ask, “Is there a better way?”. Evaluate retrospectives to add, adjust, and remove processes based on learnings.
10. Ability to travel 15%.
11. 10+ years experience as a technical program manager working in cross-functional software development.
12. 6+ years experience managing small to medium sized teams, demonstrated experience managing both over and under performing team members.
13. Driven at least 2 end-to-end customer-focused releases in the hardware or software space.
14. Track record of driving through ambiguity while being dynamic and flexible to customer feedback and changes in priority or direction.
15. Analytical and negotiation skills in combination with effective communication experience, can translate high-level goals into tangible action plans, and vice-versa.
16. Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Program Management, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
17. Project management, leadership, dependency management and cross-group collaboration experience (both inside and outside of an organization).
18. Communication/presentation experience through all levels of the organization, technical and non-technical.
19. Experience working with a cross-disciplinary team of researchers, software engineers and hardware engineers.
20. Experience with machine learning, computer vision or cutting edge research to development pipelines.
21. Strong understanding of coaching and mentoring in a flexible environment.
22. Experience tracking budgets and creating reliable quarterly estimates and accruals.
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.