at Cumberland County in Portland, Maine, United States
Picturesque Cumberland County is the State’s most populous county having a population of 289,977. Its largest city is Portland and the county geographically extends from Casco Bay to the Lakes Region. Cumberland County has the second largest body of water in the state, Sebago Lake, which provides numerous recreational opportunities. The County is the economic and industrial center of the state, having a strong corporate presence of major domestic and international companies. The County has over 350 dedicated employees, all focused on providing the best customer service to the County residents. Cumberland County is represented by five elected county commissioners and the county manager runs the daily operations.
Cumberland County is currently seeking qualified applicants to fill a full-time (40 hour) Legal Assistant vacancy in the Register of Probate Office.
JOB PURPOSE: Assists the Register of Probate by assuring the court runs as effectively as possible; including but not limited to the processing, docketing, scheduling, preparations, and recording of court matters.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
- Assist the Judge and Register of Probate by acting as court assistant.
- Assists Judge and Register of Probate by scheduling pre-trials and hearings.
- Assists the Register by providing attested copies of signed orders to attorneys or the parties involved.
- Manages the adoption process by working with families, adoption agencies, and the Department of Human Services; schedules surrender and release as well as consents to adoption.
- Assists Register by handling all proceedings concerning adoptions and name changes.
- Assists attorneys and general public either in person or telephone by advising procedure, answering procedural and scheduling questions related to probate and court matters.
- Assists co-workers at the counter by accepting filings of adoptions, guardian and/or conservator of adult and minors, estates and name changes.
- Assists court by typing documents generated by the court, and by preparing each file to ensure all necessary documents have been filed and are in proper order for each matter scheduled to be heard by the Judge of Probate.
- Assists court by docketing all correspondence and filings received, such as complaints, petitions, and motions.
- Maintains court calendar scheduling pre-trials, contested hearings and notifying attorneys, petitioners and interested parties of the same.
- Assists the public and attorneys by instructing them on the correct use of probate forms.
- Assists court by composing and typing correspondence related to probate matters.
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; establishing personal networks.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the County’s safety policies and practices by attending required safety programs; reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to supervisor.
- Fulfills job function by participating as an active member of training; participating on county task forces and performing other responsibilities as assigned.
- Paralegal degree or legal assistant experience desired
- Experience with court operations desired
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Excellent typing skills and transcription required
- Experience dealing effectively with the public and attorneys, in a team setting
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in legal and/or court support.
Cumberland County offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package and is proud of its talented and dedicated workforce. Come join our team and culture of engaged employees. Our strong management team is dedicated to providing employees with inspiring leadership, a positive and friendly workplace, support, encouragement and the necessary tools for success. We offer tuition reimbursement, wellness program, and professional development and training opportunities. This is a non-union Pay Grade 6 position, $20.54- $27.99/hour, contingent upon qualifications and experience.
Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 4:00 pm. To download an employment application, please visit www.cumberlandcounty.org/Jobs.
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter, resume, and Employment Application via mail, fax, or email to:
Human Resource Department
142 Federal Street, Suite 110
Portland, Maine 04101
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status.