at Amec Foster Wheeler Environment
Job DescriptionOverview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Mid-Level Cost Estimator to join our North Atlantic US Operations based in Portland, Maine. Our team is a multi-disciplinary engineering/ architecture/science team of 150+ staff, located in one of the most livable cities in the US. Wood offers the technical challenges of projects located throughout the US and globally within the relaxed environment of a small, vibrant city.
The role of Mid-Level Cost Estimator is to work with our architectural engineering staff, project managers, and clients to develop conceptual and engineering estimates from preliminary through final design phases. Recent and ongoing projects include the design of building renovations and new construction for Federal and State office buildings, museums, and visitor facilities; industrial office space, warehouses, and maintenance facilities; architecturally-driven pedestrian bridge designs, and high-security government and radar facilities. We also have several ongoing design standards development projects for Federal agencies. The position will primarily work in an office/home office setting but may require approximately 10% travel to client facilities.
Key Responsibilities :
- Coordinate with architects and engineers throughout the design process to ensure that projects are designed within client construction budgets
- Prepare ROMs for client construction projects, A/E studies, or maintenance work during the planning phase
- Prepare cost estimates with increasing levels of accuracy through conceptual, schematic, design development, and final design phases
- Develop Basis of Estimate Reports
- Utilize design documents, published reference material, and experience to identify items of work, perform take-offs, develop estimates, and prepare backup documentation
- Develop and maintain resource information on material price trends, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
- Interact with co-workers, clients, and prospective clients while conducting work in a professional and ethical manner
Skills / Qualifications
Required Qualifications :
- Minimum of 5 years of experience estimating building and facility construction projects including civil, architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection systems
- Experience estimating projects with up to $20,000,000 in construction cost
- Proficiency with spreadsheet design and commercial estimating software
- Familiarity and proficiency with RSMeans Estimating Publications (Hardcopy or Computer Based)
- Experience with CSI Master Format and Uniformat cost estimates
- Proficiency with MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Schedule)
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning
- Excellent attention to detail with emphasis placed on quality
- Excellent organizational skills with a systematic approach to tasks to achieve accuracy and efficiency.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume and deadline-driven environment
Preferred Qualifications :
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Construction Management
- Facility construction/renovation experience as a contractor
- Familiarity with various Federal agency (GSA, DoD, DOI) cost estimating requirements
- Certifications such as ASPE, CSP, and/or CPE
- AutoCAD and/or Revit experience
Join our Portland Wood Team, we are a team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; nestled in a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you are an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts - something for everyone! Considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision - Join us!
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.