at Barnes & Noble in Augusta, Maine, United States
Title: Lead Bookseller – FT
Location: ME – Augusta – Augusta – 2742
JobLocation: Augusta, Maine 04330
JobSummary: As lead bookseller, you love the book business and make the customer experience exceptional by sharing your knowledge with your booksellers and your customers. Your desire to lead the team and manage the store supports the achievement of sales goals, efficiencies and operational excellence. As a leader, you mentor and support booksellers, developing their expertise to be successful in their bookselling careers. In your role, you support the cluster structure and work collaboratively within it to ensure the best experience, making sure our customers are satisfied and come back to shop again and again.
• Create memorable shopping experiences where customers look forward to coming back to shop again because of the consistent, friendly and informed service that you provide and second by the training and delivery of first-class service by the entire store team.
• Ensure a vibrant bookstore through the flawless execution of bookstore basics, showing a commitment to presentation, commerciality, section detail, localization and sense of theater.
• Demonstrate handselling skills to drive successful campaigns such as Our Monthly Picks, preorders, etc., to establish book prowess and drive sales.
• Develop the bookselling team based on their individual strengths and through engagement and coaching.
• Communicate collaboratively with your cluster commercial support (CCS) to support tailored inventory, consistent local pricing and assortments which reflect your community and customer.
• Ensure the efficient execution of store operations by directing work with timely management of receiving, returns and other day-to-day processes, understanding issues of shrink and expenses when running the store.
• Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in operations, communicating and sharing with your team and cluster to enhance the bookstore experience for both customers and fellow booksellers.
• Communicate collaboratively with your store team and cluster to deliver initiatives that support our booksellers through fair and consistent feedback and respectful accountability.
• Work to better the cluster through operations and the structure.
• Work on the selling floor, which requires physical activity (i.e., prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, climbing), and Café when needed.
• Open and close the building, ensuring the safety of our employees and customers.
• Exhibit solid bookselling knowledge and conversations across various genres.
• Solid operational knowledge to run the bookstore.
• Deliver bookselling basics consistently.
• Understand and deliver excellent standards of service.
• Demonstrate good decision making.
• Show confidence.
• Direct work with productive results.
• Has experience in training employees.
• Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload.
• Able to delegate and to work through others.
• Communicate effectively, collaboratively, and comfortably through and with others.
• Give feedback honestly and respectfully.
• Curious and continues to develop deep knowledge about books and the industry.
• Prioritize customer experience above all else.
• Support results and understand financial factors.
• Enjoy working with people and value them.
• Well-organized and manages time efficiently.
• Excited by, adapts well to and thrives in a dynamic and changing work environment.
• Shift gears quickly, prioritize and multi-task.
• Persevere with confidence in the face of adversity and setbacks.
• Use good judgment and make good decisions.
• Exhibit focus and thoughtfulness.
• Remain calm, cool and collected when situations escalate.
• Motivate and recognize each person.
• Take responsibility for own actions.
• Open to feedback and can reflect on this insight to develop and grow.
EeoStatement: Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.