at American Red Cross in Portland, Maine, United States
1. Comply with applicable Federal, State and local regulations as well as all American Red Cross policies, procedures and guidelines.
2. Perform whole blood collection procedures (allogeneic, autologous, directed, therapeutic). Performs donor health history screening procedures.
3. Conduct donor greeting, processing and packing blood, and donor reaction care as assigned.
4. Perform daily function checks, assemble and maintain supplies and equipment to ensure a state of readiness and to maintain compliance.
5. Function with team effort to ensure efficient donation process focused on donor and sponsor expectations.Maintain positive public relations to promote a professional image.
6. Operate any ARC vehicles including those that require a CDL operator license. Transport supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance. Operate assigned vehicle according to applicable regulations and in compliance with fleet policy. Perform vehicle checks and complete DOT paperwork per established protocol.
7. Load, set up, maintain and tear down supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance.
8. Complete required readings and training assignments by assigned deadline.
9. Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Drive ARC vehicles throughout the blood region to collection sites, set-up and tear down and provide other related donor and operation support. Will have frequent external customer (donor and sponsor) contact. Balance production, customer service and compliance on a daily basis, ensuring integrity of product and optimum donor experience. As an integral link between donors and ARCBS, portray a commitment to customer service by conveying and demonstrating a consistent style of professionalism.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Medical assistant or phlebotomy training preferred. Customer service experience, effective verbal communication, and public relations skills are required. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required. A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required.Previous truck and/or bus driving experience is preferred. Required to pass applicable DOT physical and related requirements and be able to posses or obtain a medical certification of at least one year duration. Basic computer skills desirable. Applicable local licensure if required by state directives.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
The duties above indicate the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Physical requirements may include the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, squatting, push or pull heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs, good manual dexterity, the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and adapt to long, irregular hours and frequent schedule changes is required.
At the American Red Cross, we conduct many mobile blood drives at businesses, schools and many other locations.All staff work as a team to setup and tear down the equipment required to conduct a mobile blood drive.This involves pushing carts up to 250 lbs, setting up beds and handling many totes containing equipment and snacks for the donors.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site.Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure determination I in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account