at University of New England in Portland, Maine, United States
The Housekeeper cleans and performs routine maintenance of campus buildings, including residence halls, classrooms, and administrative offices.
* Clean floors, including vacuuming, sweeping, dust mopping, washing, stripping, waxing, and buffing.
* Shampoo carpets.
* Wash windows, walls, chalkboards and trash cans.
* Dust furniture, fixtures and woodwork.
* Collect and empty trash receptacles, and pick up litter in and around the buildings.
* Remove biological waste.
* Clean, sanitize and stock the bathrooms; change and clean shower curtains.
* Replace light bulbs.
* Operate basic equipment, including low speed buffers, burnishing machines, extractors, auto scrubbing machines and wet vacuums.
* Move furniture.
* Perform routine maintenance of electrical, heating, vents and fixtures.
* Assist in snow removal.
* Understand and comply with MSDS and HAZCOM procedures and policies as part of UNE’s comprehensive OSHA Compliance Program.
* Understand and comply with OSHA’s Bloodborn Pathogen Standard ( 29 CFR 1910.1030) and Chapter 8 of the University of New England Safety Manual.
* Understand and comply with OSHA requirements (29 CFR Part 1910) for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as defined by the University Chemical Hygiene Officers, the Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (EHSC), the supervisor and Chapter 17 of the University of New England Safety Manual.
* Understand and comply with the University of New England’s Safety Manual.
* Assist in training and overseeing the work of helpers assigned by the supervisor.
* Perform other related duties as necessary.
* High school education desirable.
* General knowledge and skills related to routine housekeeping and maintenance work, with commercial/institutional cleaning experience desirable.
* Ability to perform tasks in specific sequences.
* Physical ability to do heavy custodial work and operate cleaning equipment.
* Ability to understand and follow written instructions, chemical labels and warnings.
* Ability to work cooperatively with other employees and to deal courteously with students, faculty and staff.