at Eaton Peabody in Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
The Town of Bar Harbor, Maine is accepting applications for the position of Town Manager. Bar Harbor, located on Mount Desert Island in Down East Maine, is a diverse community with a special richness that provides an attractive setting for residents, businesses, and tourists. It is surrounded by Acadia National Park and is home to College of the Atlantic, Jackson Laboratory, and Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory. It is located 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city.
Bar Harbor operates under a charter with a 7-member Town Council/Town Manager/Town Meeting form of government. Councilors are elected for 3-year staggered terms. It has a year round population of 5,089 increasing to 50,000 in the summer and fall. It has 75 full time staff and 10 year-round part-time staff, and an annual budget of $16 million not including schools.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward- thinking, fair-minded, transparent, thinks outside the box, plans for the long term, and can lead the community;
- An effective and experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity with proven organizational and professional skills;
- An individual who has strong skills in finance (capital), human resources, employee relations and unions, planning, and community and economic development;
- Able to listen, engage, understand and sustain relationships with all stakeholders (public and private partnerships);
- Articulates clearly achievable goals to staff, provides tools and resources to achieve the goals, and expects accountability;
- Experience working in a community with large seasonal population fluctuations and service requirements;
- A person of unquestionable ethics and integrity, committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association (ICMA) and Maine Town and City Management Association(MTCMA);
- Strong in written, verbal, and public presentation skills and able to promote the Town in a variety of communications;
- Willing to engage and become part of the fabric of the community. Residency in Bar Harbor is preferred but not mandatory. May reside outside of the Town with approval of the Town Council.
The Council is seeking candidates with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated municipal executive management experience as a Manager or similar related private business experience.
Applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration or a closely related field. Salary will be determined based on experience and qualifications. Salary range is $110,000 to $130,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For further information about Bar Harbor please go to www.barharbormaine.gov.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements and five (5) references by October 5, 2021 to:
Bar Harbor Town Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
77 Sewall Street, Suite 3000
Augusta, Maine 04330
The Town of Bar Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.