at Central ME Area Agency on Aging Senior Spectrum in Waterville, Maine, United States
This position assists the Sous and Executive Chefs in daily operations of the kitchen/dining room. The Chef’s Assistant performs responsible and skilled work involved with the preparation and cooking of a wide variety of foods for Meals on Wheels, Social Dining, ADCSS clients and events. The position is required to collaborate with other kitchen personnel/volunteers and assist in maintaining proper food safety, sanitation, and cost and quality standards. Work is usually performs under the general direction of the Sous Chef, however the Chef’s Assistant takes over in his/her absence, and at times will fill in for the Executive Chef.
The ideal candidate will have a good attitude and be able to work with volunteers in a busy environment and be able to adapt to task changes quickly.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of a wide variety of foods/menu items, coordinating service activities to have meals prepared at scheduled times.
- Estimates food needs, reviews inventory to assure that adequate supplies are available.
- Supervises storage and use of leftover and uncooked foods.
- Inspects, supervises and participates in the cleaning of kitchens.
- Maintains records of foods/menus, temperatures, and work schedules.
- Assists in evaluating new menu items and recipes
- Is visible to the consumers and volunteers – answers questions and appropriately responds to concerns.
- Inspects, supervises and participates in the cleaning of kitchens and assists with set-up, breakdown and cooking for catered events/banquets.
- Responsible for opening and securing the kitchen and dining facilities when the Sous Chef and Executive Chef are absent