at Samoset Resort in Rockport, Maine, United States
JOB TITLE: SOUS CHEF
Exempt (Y/N): No JOB CODE:
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage ASSOCIATE NAME:
SUPERVISOR: Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
PREPARED BY: Jackie Rhoades DATE: 02/01/2014
APPROVED BY: DATE:
________________________________________________________________________SUMMARY: Our goal is to drive the highest standards of food and beverage quality, service and marketing to maximize profits and ensure an outstanding guest experience. Associates are chosen for this position because of their culinary abilities to drive food quality, multi-task in a high-stress environment and exemplify excellent customer service as a member of the Samoset team. All associates are expected to promote and uphold the Samoset Standards of Excellence; Smile, Assume responsibility, Maintain a well groomed, professional appearance, Own every guest inquiry, Speak in a professional manner, Exceed guests’ expectations and Take pride in your work and in the resort.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist Executive Chef with daily responsibilities to include supervision of staff. In addition, assist in preparing food items in accordance with production requirement and quality standards while maintaining a safe, sanitary work environment.
- Deputize in the Head Chef’s absence.
- To ensure that the daily culinary team is familiar with the day’s requirements.
- To ensure that the necessary stocks are on hand at the right quality and also quantity.
- To ensure that all staff are treated fairly and with common courtesy.
- To ensure that all statutory, as well as company, hygiene regulations are being strictly adhered to.
- To ensure that all communications between restaurant and kitchen run smoothly.
- To ensure that all maintenance issues are reported immediately and followed up on to assure issues are being corrected.
- To ensure that each cook receives the correct orders for the appropriate tables.
- To ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity, presentation and correct temperature.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Culinary school degree or equivalent work experience, approximately 5 years food service or related work in a resort setting.
- Food Safety Handlers Certification – thus providing all the rules of the kitchen and food prep, preventing food contamination, knowledge of ways to prevent Food Borne Illnesses.
- Managers Serv Safe Certificate.
- Leadership Skills.
- Excellent interaction customer service skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask.
Arrive with clean coats, jackets, aprons and approved slip resistant shoes, pants.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or associates of organization. Must have excellent communication skills.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Proven leadership ability. Proven ability to supervise other associates.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Valid driver’s license may be required. Ability to operate, maintain and properly clean deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slice, oven, steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron and flat top grill, saute’ station.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand up to 14 hours a day; walk; use hands for tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The associate frequently is required to stoop, kneel or crouch. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance. Pushing and pulling carts and able to endure limited exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures.
The associate must lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud depending on equipment use.
The hotel functions seven (7) days a week and twenty four (24) hours per day. All associates, both management and hourly, must realize that fact and be aware that at times it may be necessary to move an associate from their accustomed shift as business demands.
EXPECTATIONS TOWARDS OUR GUESTS AND FELLOW ASSOCIATES:
Smile and greet every guest. Speak to each guest in a warm, friendly, courteous manner. Display genuine and enthusiastic interest in the guest; pay complete attention. Anticipate guest needs to be flexible in responding to them. Be knowledgeable about your job. LEARN to take ownership of guest issues and resolve them. The resort is comprised of many different departments and work groups. Team work is essential to provide the highest quality of Guest services.