at Cumberland County in Portland, Maine, United States
JOB PURPOSE: The mission of the Cumberland County Jail is to provide a healthy, safe, secure, humane, and cost effective environment in which to detain persons alleged or convicted of crimes. Corrections Officers ensure a high quality corrections facility by providing for the care, custody, and control of inmates. Supervise inmates in their personal quarters ensuring safety and cleanliness according to established rules and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or equivalent, prefer successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy Basic Corrections Course, or ability to complete the course within the first year of employment. Certified in CPR, or able to obtain certification. Two (2) years post-secondary education desirable. Three (3) years post-secondary employment or a combination of education and employment to equal three (3) years desired. Valid driver’s license required. Must be able and willing to work evenings, nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Cumberland County offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package and is proud of its talented and dedicated workforce. Come join our team and culture of engaged employees. Our strong management team is dedicated to providing employees with inspiring leadership, a positive and friendly workplace, support, encouragement and the necessary tools for success. We offer tuition reimbursement, wellness program, and professional development and training opportunities.
Competitive wages contingent upon qualifications and experience.
Pay range for Corrections Officers starts at $23.23. Lateral credit can be given for up to 10 years of service for pay and vacation time.
- Shift differentials of $0.25/hour for 3-11pm shift and $0.40 for 11pm-7am shift.
- $4.17/ hour stipend paid for all hours worked over 56.
- Education stipend of $0.19/hr. for Associate’s degree and $0.38/hr. for Bachelor’s Degree.
- Longevity Increases- in addition to cost of living increases: After 5 years $.75/hour, after 10 years $1.25/hour, after 15 years $1.45/hour, after 20 years $1.70/hour- in addition to yearly cost of living increases per Union Contract.
- Master CO Stipend of $.50/hour
- Educational Reimbursement up to 100% for a grade of A.
- Health Insurance: Single coverage cost of $1.50/ week. 90% paid for adult with children, 80% paid for family and domestic partner coverage.
- Medical Insurance Opt-Out option: Receive $121.26 weekly if you are covered elsewhere!
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Income Protection (Short Term Disability)
- Maine State Retirement Special Benefit Plan 2C- 25 years of service, which can provide 50% of average income upon retirement, AND Social Security.
- Roth IRA
- 457 Retirement Plan with 7% match (if not participating on Maine State Retirement)
- Vacation time that accrues beginning at hire date at rate of 6.67 hours/month. 100 hours per year after 3 continuous years, 120 hours after 5 continuous years, 140 after 8 continuous years, 160 after ten continuous years, 180 after 15 continuous years, and 200 after 20 continuous years.
- Sick leave accrues at 8 hours per month.
- 3 personal days each year.
- Bereavement Leave
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Physical fitness facility on site
- Employee Wellness Programs
To complete an employment application please visit: https://www.cumberlandso.org/227/Employment or www.cumberlandcounty.org/jobs Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Cumberland County Human Resources Department
142 Federal Street, Suite 110, Portland, Maine 04101
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account