at Atlantic Staffing, LLC in Augusta, Maine, United States
Position Title: Case Investigator/Field Epidemiologist
Location: Remote work
Schedule: Full time 8 AM – 5 PM Monday – Friday, on-call evenings and weekends
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
This is a grant-funded professional services and scientific work position: rapid response and investigation of reportable infectious diseases including potential bioterrorism events, public health threats, and emergencies; and participation in routine and outbreak infectious disease monitoring and response activities as a member of the Infectious Disease Epidemiology Team. Work is performed under administrative direction.
• Conduct individual case follow-up on all infectious diseases of public health significance Investigation of clusters or outbreaks of infectious disease
• Assess respective region for health care partners including but not limited to: infection control providers, hospitals, labs, public health nurses, Sanitarians, infectious disease physicians, school nurses, colleges. Attend appropriate meetings in the region and outside the region to educate on disease reporting, and relay infectious disease information.
• Coordinate the collection of certain clinical and/or environmental samples in outbreak situations or other public health emergency.
• Participate in outbreak investigations, conduct epidemiologic analyses, and initiate public health interventions. This includes participating in or leading outbreak investigations as needed with the Infectious Disease Program.
• Assist with coordination of statewide surveillance for reportable infectious conditions and provide disease consultation to medical providers and members of the public.
• Participate in the After-Hours-On-Call rotation schedule.
• Participate in exercises and planning efforts led by Public Health and Emergency Preparedness and respond to appropriate emergencies under Public Health and Emergency Prepredness direction.
• Participate in surge response activities affecting other programs in Maine CDC.
• Additional duties as reasonably assigned.
SPECIAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES*:
• Ability to provide own transportation (fully-insured vehicle), provide proof of a valid driver’s license, and compliance with Maine law regarding vehicle insurance.
• Work on federally funded projects.
• Ability to communicate professionally with culturally diverse individuals during a time of crisis and distress
• Ability to show empathy to distressed individuals
• Ability to flex communication style for multiple cultural environments
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES: None
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Principles and practices of epidemiology and public health surveillance
• Statistics and statistical software
• Outbreak response activities
• Health data collection
• Infectious diseases, including risk and transmission
• Medical terminology
• Word processing software, email and internet use, spreadsheets or analysis programs
• Analyze infectious disease data
• Draw logical inferences from data analysis
• Pay attention to detail
• Organize, disseminate, and report public health information
• Work as a team leader and team member
• Communicate with local and federal partners
• Work independently, including being a “self starter”
• Facilitate groups
• Speak publicly
• Possess an attitude that fosters a respectful, non-threatening workplace environment
• Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in Public Health or related fields (Nursing, biology, community health etc.), and 4 years of relevant experience in public health
• Communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Word.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Master’s Degree in Public health or related field, with coursework in relevant fields and 2 years of relevant work experience.
• Speak and write in multiple languages
• Experience working directly with people with diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
The State of Maine and Atlantic Staffing are committed to hiring diverse staff. Given racial and ethnic disparities and COVID 19, a diverse team for contact tracing and support is critical to reaching all Maine communities, and we strongly encourage racial and ethnic minorities to apply.
Atlantic Staffing, LLC
Augusta, Maine 04333