Environmental Services Technician I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Environmental Services Technician I
Facilities, Security, Custodial, Hospitality
The Jackson Laboratory, located in Bar Harbor, ME currently is seeking applicants for the position of a Per Diem Environmental Services Technician!
(there are no guaranteed hours for this role as it’s part time, per diem on afill in basis related to staffing needs, hours are generally 3:30pm – 12:00am, but must be flexible, weekends included) Must be able to travel to the Ellsworth location as well.
Must have the ability to wear a face mask for the entire shift and nitrile surgical gloves for 80% of the 8 hour shift!*
Working under moderate supervision, the environmental services position has the primary responsibility of cleaning properties owned or leased by The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) to promote the health and safety of The Jackson Laboratory’s visitors and its employees.
Cleans and sanitizes restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedures.
- Cleans, dusts, and wipes furniture; sweeps, mops, or vacuums floors; empties/cleans wastebaskets and trash containers; replaces light bulbs; refills restroom dispensers.
- Strips, cleans, buffs and applies floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Uses and maintains assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Washes walls and equipment; uses ladders when required in work assignments.
- Follows instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- Locks and unlocks assigned buildings: secures building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Handles recycling materials.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have the ability to walk 26,000 steps nightly or approximately 10 miles during the course of nightly duties
- Self-motivated with the ability to organize time effectively, demonstrated ability to manage details and provide excellent client service skills
- Ability to understand written/verbal instructions and communicate effectively with others (to clearly and effectively exchange information)
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects up to 50 pounds
- Effective interpersonal skills sufficient to permit incumbent to work effectively with a wide variety of people and personalities representing both internal clients and external suppliers. Must be able to present oneself in a positive manner through appearance, attitude and behavior
- Ability to use computers and basic business computer programs (e-mail, web, word processing, spreadsheets, et.al.)
Please submit a resume to complete the application process!
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.