Research and Outreach Coordinator (id:65909)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Orono, ME 04469
Statement of the Job:
The Cooperative Forestry Research Unit (CFRU) is a forest landowner / university cooperative that conducts applied scientific research to advance forestry practices in Maine (http://www.umaine.edu/cfru). The Research and Outreach Coordinator helps to support the research and communications programs of the CFRU within a team environment and in close collaboration with the CFRU Program Leader and Center for Research on Sustainable Forests (CRSF) Director.
The individual plays a key role in helping with ongoing and new research studies by maintaining long-term field installations and the unit-wide research database, developing new project proposals, and through assisting CFRU project scientists and graduate students with field work, data management and statistical analyses. The position is also responsible for a portion of the outreach and communications aspects of the CFRU, including technology transfer activities with CFRU member organizations, the Advisory Committee, and other professionals in the field of applied forestry. These duties would include preparing technical research bulletins, organizing workshops, advisory meetings, and field tours, and continual updating the website. Typical hiring range for this soft-money funded position is $45,000 to $50,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Complete Job Description
About the University:
The University of Maine is a community of more than 11,200 undergraduate and graduate students, and 2,500 employees located on the Orono campus and throughout the state. UMaine is the state land and sea grant university and maintains a leadership role as the System’s flagship university. As a result, it is dedicated to providing excellent teaching, research, and service at the university, state, and national levels.
Further information about UMaine can be found at https://umaine.edu/
The University of Maine offers a wide range of benefits for employees including, but not limited to, tuition benefits (employee and dependent), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long term disability as well as retirement plan options. As a former NSF ADVANCE institution, the University of Maine is committed to diversity in our workforce and to dual-career couples.
UMaine is located in beautiful Central Maine. Many employees report that a primary reason for choosing to come to UMaine is quality of life. Numerous cultural activities, excellent public schools, safe neighborhoods, high quality medical care, little traffic, and a reasonable cost of living make the greater Bangor area a wonderful place to live.
Learn more about what the Bangor region has to offer here.
- MF or MS in Forest Sciences/Forest Management or related field
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
- Must be willing to work in arduous field conditions and on short-term assignments in remote locations
- Strong knowledge (as demonstrated through relevant university course work) and/or work experience with applied forest management or natural resources research required
- Demonstrated success at working independently in a position of key support and responsibility
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and proven success within a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Strong knowledge of field and laboratory safety procedures
- Strong knowledge of ArcGIS and Microsoft Office (Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Word)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Valid state driver’s license is required
- Proficient in the safe and accurate operation of forestry equipment, handheld GPS, chain saws, brush cutters, and data loggers
- Experience with meetings management and conference organization
- Prior experience and interest in working with diverse organizations
- Experience with website development and content management
- Experience with communications and technology transfer in an applied research environment required
- Knowledge and experience with forest industry and associated issues such as third-party certification, wood markets, and harvesting practices
Materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position” below. You will need to create a profile and application; upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
3.) contact information for three professional references
You will also need to submit the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
Search Timeline is as follows:
Review of applications to begin: December 14, 2020
Screening interviews to begin no earlier than: January 1, 2021
Virtual interviews to begin no earlier than: January 14, 2021
Tentative start date: March 1, 2021
For questions about the search, please contact search committee chair Aaron Weiskittel at email@example.com or 207-581-2857.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening and a post offer physical.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Amie Parker, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Position Title: Research and Outreach Coordinator (id:65909)
Department: Cooperative Forestry Research Unit – OCFRU
Bargaining Unit: UMPSA
Salary Band/Wage Band: 03
Location: Orono, ME
Length: Fiscal Year (12 Months)
Required Documents: Cover Letter, References, Resume/CV