Tax Accountant (Managing State Income and Sales Ta
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04101
WEX Inc is seeking a self-driven and motivated Tax Accountant, managing state income and sales tax, to join their growing team of 10. The ideal candidate will assist with driving the department forward as they continuously streamline and implement efficiencies in preparation for new growth. In this dynamic role, the opportunity to be innovative, collaborate closely with a solid professional team, and further develop in a cutting-edge technology industry are endless.
This team is located at our Portland corporate headquarters right on the waterfront. This role can work remotely with the ability to go in the office as permitted. Post Covid, this role would need to be working in the office, or have the ability to travel to the site on a consistent basis.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in an innovative tax department that strives to create best-in-class processes and employ leading edge technologies. As part of the team, the candidate will:
Oversee Tax Compliance:
- Prepare and maintain the tax records and information on a legal entity basis needed to complete state tax returns and related forms and schedules, estimates and extensions.
- Develop and maintain detailed tax workpapers and applicable carry forward schedules and reconciliations to support state modifications.
- Maintain state apportionment documentation for filing positions, methodologies and calculations on a legal entity basis. Update standardized spreadsheets and incorporate quarterly changes for both ASC740 and estimate/extension purposes.
- Manage sales & use tax reporting process including systems implementation and coordination with outside preparers.
- Support preparation of quarterly tax estimates and/or extensions.
- Prepare responses generated in conjunction with tax inquiries/audits as assigned.
- Leads state-related research into identified issues and develops explanations, documentation, and arguments in support of Company tax positions and works with outside advisors on projects as assigned.
Support Tax Accounting:
- Assist with the preparation of the quarterly and year end ASC740 state provision calculations and supporting workpapers for US on a legal entity basis.
- Reconcile and/or review reconciliations of general ledger tax accounts. Analyze activity and propose adjustments as necessary.
- Team with accounting/finance personnel, as appropriate, to provide clarity on the general ledger activity to facilitate the tax provision and return preparation process.
Expand Knowledge and Project Ownership:
- Utilize and implement technology solutions in support and creation of a best-in-class tax organization.
- Work within the department to identify tax planning opportunities and participate in the research and analysis of the impacts on proposed and existing business transactions.
- Keep informed of tax laws, regulations, and rulings pertaining to state and federal income taxes. Attends seminars and similarly instructional events to expand knowledge of tax laws and IRS interpretations.
- Participate in special projects as dictated by the needs of the business.
- Travel may be offered related to new growth through acquisitions at WEX.
Minimum Required Qualifications for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related discipline. Masters/LLM in Tax is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years related experience required. (ideally combined experience in a firm and publicly traded company)
- CPA preferred with a background in the preparation of corporate tax returns and research (multi-state corporate tax experience required).
- Working knowledge of PC based application software with an emphasis on spreadsheet and data management skills required.
- Experience with Thomson Reuters OneSource products (or similar) preferred.
- Strong accounting, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and flexibility.
- Detail oriented; ability to multitask and work in a fast paced deadline driven environment.
- Self-motivated requiring minimum supervision.
- Project management skills important to help drive WEX forward.
- With new systems implemented, being tech savvy is essential.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disability