Big Data Software Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Big Data Software Engineer
US-CT-Farmington | US-ME-Bar Harbor | US-Remote
Biostatistician, Computational Scientist, Scientific Software Engineer
As a Big Data Sofware Engineer come join a dynamic team and have a high impact on big data projects at the leading edge of biomedical research.
The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for Data Engineering. This position reports to the Associate Director of Computational Sciences Scientific Computing (CSSC) team that is primarily responsible for developing software applications for scientific research programs.
This role will have a high impact on big data projects supporting research at the forefront of genetics and genomics. This is an exciting opportunity to work creatively solving tough problems with truly big data. The solutions you develop will lead to better understanding of highly complex biological systems, and support the search for cures to cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and other genetic disorders.
- partial remote candidates must be willing to travel periodically (at least once a month) to Farmington CT or Bar Harbor ME campuses.
Leading the development of scientific software applications and systems to support research at The Jackson Laboratory.
- Lead the development of large complex projects with team members including software engineers, bioinformatics analysts, statisticians and scientists.
- Identify and lead big data opportunities within the organization and enhance the team’s expertise with managing large scale data both on-premise and in the cloud
- Demonstrate knowledge of a cross section of tools and techniques relating to support of large-scale data analysis
- Function as part of a highly productive software team and will work closely with researchers across all three campuses to develop tools to aid in their research.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in software development
- A BS degree or higher in computer science, information science or equivalent on-the-job experience
- Experience with a variety of database management systems beyond relational databases
- Experience with operational tools such as Git, JetBrains IDE products (PyCharm, Idea), CI Tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo, Atlassian Suite
- Experience with and capable of working in an agile development environment
- Experience or knowledge with machine learning applications at scale
- Experience in identifying and developing software applications in the biomedical sciences and/or bioinformatics and implementing systems for analyzing large-scale scientific data is a plus
- Strong knowledge of Linux environments
- Knowledge in statistics, biology, genomics are considered a plus
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
JAX-GM is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX-GM’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person’s unique genetic makeup.
JAX-GM sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.