Public Works Laborer or Driver
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bass Harbor, ME 04612
General Job Description
Public Works Department
Nature of Work:
Performs manual labor of an unskilled nature requiring the learning of methods on the job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists equipment operators and skilled workers in tasks related to the performance of their work in construction, maintenance and other activities.
Operates lawn mower, string trimmer, pick, shovel, sledge hammer, rake, broom, and other tools.
Performs unskilled tasks in construction, maintenance, cleaning and repair work on roads, cemeteries, sidewalks, curbs, sewers, drains, buildings, grounds and other public facilities.
- Assists in maintenance and minor repair of equipment and tools used to perform assigned tasks.
- May paint offices and buildings of the department.
- May do rough carpentry work.
- May work independently or teamed with other persons in the same class on a non-journeyman basis.
- Picks up rubbish and trash and loads into trucks.
- Performs related work as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety precautions of the work.
Ability to understand and follow oral and simple written directions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual work for an extended period.
- Ability to operate light power equipment.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks.
Physical strength and agility necessary to perform the functions of the job under exposure to varied climatic conditions.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with Town officials, other employees and the public.
Willingness to take co-responsibility for how the entire Town government functions.
Education and Experience:
- Experience in performing semi-skilled maintenance or construction tasks;
Completion of the eighth school grade;
Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must possess a valid State of Maine Class C Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Must have and maintain a good driving record.
Visual acuity sufficient to read documents.
Manual dexterity to write and handle small tools.
Hearing sufficient to communicate in person, on the telephone and by radio.
Physical ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work is performed under close supervision of the Public Works Foreman until more difficult aspects of the work are thoroughly learned.
Temporary, Hourly (FLSA non-exempt from overtime)
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Town and employee and is subject to change by the Town as the needs of the Town and requirements of the job change.
~ The Town of Tremont Is an Equal Opportunity Employer ~
I received a copy of this job description on _________________ Signed __________________________________
v. 2019-04-22 Public Works Laborer I ~ Job Description Page 1 of 2