Research Assistant I/II/III - Ke Lab - RNA Biology
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Research Assistant I/II/III – Ke Lab – RNA Biology
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
The Jackson Laboratory is a world leader in mammalian genetics, and has a mission we are passionate about: to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Ke Lab invites applicants for Research Assistants to join The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. The Ke Lab focuses on RNA, a central node of genetic information flow from DNA to protein (https://www.jax.org/research-and-faculty/faculty/shengdong-ke). Malfunction of RNAs leads to many human diseases, including neurological diseases and cancer. To thoroughly address fundamental molecular mechanisms of RNA, the Ke Lab utilizes multidisciplinary approaches, including cutting-edge computational biology, biochemistry, innovative bio-technologies, genetics and molecular biology.
We invite highly motivated individuals who are eager to acquire new knowledge and grow new skill sets in a team environment. Candidates with a background in one or multiple areas are preferred, including computational programming, cell culture, biochemistry, molecular biology, biotechnological method development, mouse genetics, neurosciences, immunology, stem cell, or cancer biology. The Research Assistant position offers a very exciting opportunity for junior researchers to grow their research experience and skills broadly and thoroughly. We strongly support research assistants for first-authorship/co-authorship in high quality publications, and firmly promote their professional career advancement.
Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocol; identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
- Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, uploads data to database system within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
- Validates and conducts studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager. Ensures functionality and maintenance of instrumentation.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and/or conducting multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project.
- Advanced computer skills, ability to develop technical documents and presentations.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday).
- Research Assistant I: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 1-3 years of related experience.
- Research Assistant II: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 3-6 years of related experience.
- Research Assistant III: Bachelor’s degree in biologial sciences or related discipline OR 6+ years of related experience.
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred.
- Previous experience working in a laboratory setting preferred.
- Applicants with expressed interest in focused computational/quantitative role should have proficiency in Python, Perl, or R programming languages.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
- Demonstrated ability in development of research protocols.
- Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, pre-employment physical, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.