Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04102
JOB DESCRIPTION: Phlebotomist
REPORTS TO: Lab Manager
Phlebotomist puts patients at ease with a pleasant and professional manner while obtaining specimens for lab processing. He/she is responsible for preparing specimens for transport to the main laboratory and the reference laboratories and performing proper requisition processes within EMR and LIS.
• Understands all specimen requirements and can perform phlebotomy for both adult patients and pediatric patients
• Always identify patients with two unique identifiers
• Understands LIS and EMR systems to accession and process all lab samples, including outside orders
o Transfer orders from EMR to LIS and enter appropriate information
• Knows and instructs patients on proper procedure for urine/stool/sputum collection
• Knows what vacutainer tubes to draw for which tests and ensures that all specimens are labeled properly
• Checks send-out log to be sure all reports have been received, call performing lab if copies of report still pending
• Ensures all supply levels are maintained and adequate
o Orders supplies as instructed by supervisor
• Performs other clinical or administrative office tasks as necessary (if applicable to site)
• Prepares samples for transport and knows all specimen processing procedures
• Adheres to site-specific workflows
• Keeps work area clean, stocked and organized
• Packages Biohazardous Waste to prepare for scheduled pick up
• Understands and can perform all POCT including Quick Strep, Urine hCG, Urine Dip, Quick Flu, Occult Blood, and Urine Drug Screen
o Perform and document QC when necessary
• Knows and abides by personnel policies and procedures
• Maintains excellent customer service with patients, staff, and physicians
• Assists in training new employees as directed
• Work on quality improvement initiatives with manager, as directed
• Follows all OSHA and CLIA regulations as applied to InterMed
o Performs and documents on OSHA Log:
1. Disinfect counters with 10% bleach daily
2. Disinfect phlebotomy chairs/area with 10% bleach daily
3. Check surrounding offices for samples daily
4. Empty Confidential Trash daily
5. Clean Centrifuge weekly
6. Disinfect large waste buckets weekly
7. Change sharps containers as needed
8. Monitor and document temperatures
• As directed, consistently performs all the following tasks:
o “Scanned Lab Composite” workflow daily
o Scrub lab schedules to check for orders ahead of appointment times
o Perform “no-show” workflow from lab schedules
o Ability to work in the processing area independently and without performance concerns
o Audits the POCT office logs
• If applicable, assists the technologists in the following areas:
o Understands and can plant all in-house cultures, including urine cultures, strep cultures (throat and vaginal)
o Builds and checks Micro work lists for Urine Cultures, Strep Cultures, and Vaginal Cultures
o Disassembles and cleans urinalysis analyzer daily
o Orders processing supplies as needed from various vendors and companies
o Processing and distributing sample to the appropriate performing departments
o Performing QC on waived platforms
o Processing urine samples on the automated platform and prepare for microscopic examination
o Plating microbiology cultures
o Capping and storing samples
o Processing Urgent Care samples STAT
o Any additional projects within the scope of position, as directed
• Skilled and experienced phlebotomist with at least 1 years’ experience in phlebotomy with all types of patients and processing
• Excellent professional judgment, phone skills and decision-making ability
• Must be able to implement universal precautions always
• Ability to calm anxious patients
• Teamwork and cooperation
• Ability to multi-task with little to no guidance
• Concern for order, quality, and accuracy
• Ability to prioritize, organize and plan work independently
• Flexible as assignments and locations change
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Perform the N-95 Fit testing, unless medically excused
Lifting requirements: 20 – 40 lbs.
Frequency of lifting: 0 – 25% of the time
Average shift involves: standing, walking, bending, reaching – 75% sitting – 25%
Additional physical demands are:
Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
Ability to listen and speak on the telephone and write simultaneously.
Ability to operate telephone system and computer keyboard and printer.
Ability to perform phlebotomy.
Visual, hearing, dexterity and mental demands:
Vision - Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as read and perform lab tests.
Hearing - Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as hear timers go off, etc.
Speaking - Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as communicating with staff and patients.
Dexterity – Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as sorting papers and performing lab tests and phlebotomy.
Mental Demands – Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as the handle a heavy volume of patients.
Position requires work in normal laboratory environment 100% of the time. Special personal protective equipment is required.
Hazardous materials and blood borne pathogen exposure