Associate Research Scientist - Single Cell Biology
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Associate Research Scientist – Single Cell Biology Service (Robson Lab)
Scientist, PostDoctoral Associate, Professor/Faculty
Dr. Paul Robson’s Single Cell Biology Laboratory within the Scientific Services, at The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME is seeking a PhD-level Associate Research Scientist to develop and apply single cell technologies and advise others in the technical aspects of such studies. Technologies span genomic, epigenomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and multi-omic methods, all with the intent to understand biology at single cell resolution. These technologies will largely be employed to characterize the genetic and cellular diversity in the extensive mouse models available here at JAX. Areas of biology include but are not limited to developmental, reproductive, and stem cell biology, cancer, aging, and neurogenetics. This position would be an integral member of the larger single cell biology team that spans both the Bar Harbor, ME and Farmington, CT JAX campuses, aimed at integrating mouse and human biology at single cell resolution.
Perform experiments and obtain data with minimal guidance; supervise staff to do the same.
- Initiate scientific projects to develop and/or validate new protocols relevant to JAX’s research mission
- Work closely with JAX faculty to integrate such technologies into multiple research programs
- Publish in peer review journals; contribute to scientific research papers, grant applications and reports.
- Efficient, flexible and self-motivated work ethic; to be utilized in planning, executing, and analyzing independent research projects.
- Innovative technical and analytical skills required to perform research at the highest level.
- Highly motivated and independent, yet able to work well in a group setting.
- Ph.D.-level scientist in the molecular, cellular and/or developmental biology fields with 7+ years of practical experience in a research laboratory.
- Technical expertise in mouse tissue harvesting and dissociation through to molecular & cellular analysis essential
- Molecular & cellular analysis experience needs to encompass at least three methodologies in the following areas: transcriptomics, chromatin biology (e.g. ChIP-seq), cytometry (flow/sorting), histology (FFPE, cryosectioning, in situ hybridization)
- Knowledge of relevant computational tools for the above-stated technologies is an additional asset, though coding skills are not essential.
- Extensive knowledge in at least three of the four following biological domains essential: stem cell & reproductive biology, immunology, neurobiology, mouse molecular/developmental genetics/genomics, gene regulation.
- A minimum of two first author publications in respected journals in the above listed biological domains.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.