Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Windham, ME 04062
The Medical Assistant works in collaboration with all members of the
care team providing high quality compassionate care consistent with
Mercy’s Mission and Values. This is accomplished by being primarily
responsible for ensuring efficient patient flow, working to actively
enhance patient relationships and loyalty, pre-planning for patient
visits, managing visit cycle time, office workflows, and patient access
(phone, scheduling), assisting assigned provider and care team with
rooming and patient care procedures, including electronic and written
documentation, and coordinating patient activities that support managing
the targeted population’s health. The incumbent is responsible for
participation in and completion of all patient safety initiatives
appropriate to the position, and conducts all job responsibilities
according to the Mission and Values of Mercy Hospital.
BLS for Healthcare professional certification is required.
Completion of an approved Medical Assistant program; certification
required within 6 months of hire date
A minimum of four years relevant work experience; certification required
at time of hire.
2-3 years prior experience in a physician’s office or ambulatory setting
preferred. In addition, the incumbent will have knowledge of medical
terminology and will be computer literate. Must possess communication
skills that provides timely, concise, and audience appropriate
information orally and/in writing. Initiative that proactively focuses
efforts and energy on successfully attaining goals and objectives. Work
habits and productivity able to maximize time to produce timely, quality
results. Teamwork and relationship with others that allows collaboration
with a variety of individuals by establishing and maintaining
constructive relationships. Customer focus that demonstrates commitment
to meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal and external
The Medical Assistant, under the direction and supervision of the
provider, will have the following clinical skills, knowledge and
abilities. This will be demonstrated by the ability to consistently and
accurately obtain/perform the following:
1. Identify necessary equipment and materials for patient visits
2. Room patients in accordance with established guidelines and visit
3. Obtain and record vital signs.
4. Schedule patient appointments
5. Proper preparation of lab specimens
6. Set up prescription refill per guidelines
7. Report lab and diagnostic results per guidelines.
8. Documentation of patient encounters including face to face, phone
and patient portal into multiple systems, including EMR, to comply with
organizational initiatives including: PCMH, Meaningful Use, and the
Beacon ACO measures.
9. Assist and/or chaperone patient procedures.
The Medical Assistant will perform the following responsibilities as
10. Prepare and conduct EKGs, eye and auditory screening, phlebotomy
and ear lavage
11. Assist with casting and splinting
12. Prepare patient health information via electronic records
13. Perform and document immunizations (including IMMPACT as
applicable) and injections
1. Facilitates patient-centered visit by ensuring proper screening,
documentation, and/or testing has been completed.
2. Ensures all consults and charts are prepared or scanned,
downloaded and communicated in preparation for patient contact.
3. With provider supervision, work in provider tasks, review and
assist in other population health management functions.
4. Coordinates and manages provider’s tasks activity (i.e., lab
result reporting, phone calls, order entry, RX processing, and outreach
efforts) following standard processes and guidelines in oversight of
meeting provider and patient needs.
5. Collect clinical information and communicates to provider.
6. Performs direct patient care services in accordance with clinical
guidelines in a patient-centered manner.
7. Ensure provider schedule meets the needs of patients (visit and
8. Participates in daily huddles and weekly team meetings to improve
workflows and contribute to improving patient population outcomes.
9. Performs and documents necessary ancillary tests such as EKGs,
PFTs, Peak Flow Rates, Rapid Strep, HCG’s, Glucose Checks, and FOBT’s.
May perform various waive lab tests as ordered by provider. Competent in
following process of recording waive testing quality requirements.
Performs and documents lab specimen collection/processing, eye screening
and audiology screening in accordance with current guidelines and
policies. (If applicable)
10. Administer immunizations and medications in accordance with current
guidelines ensuring level and scope of practice standards. (If
11. Ensure exam rooms are prepared for patient visits, including
equipment operability, supply inventory, and utilizing standard
infection control guides and stocking procedures.
12. Ensure patient care equipment operates in accordance with quality
13. Provides patient education in support of patient visit and ongoing
care as directed by provider.
14. Assist with orientation and training of new staff members.
15. Maintain clinical/technical skills and knowledge through ongoing
development and continuing education.
16. Demonstrates age-specific competencies: communicate with each
patient in a way that is appropriate to his or her particular age,
capabilities or disabilities, temporary impairments, emotions, stresses,
culture, and individual station.
17. Set up follow up letters and reminders for service
18. All other duties as assigned