Senior Manager, Integrated Absence & STD
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Scarborough, ME 04074
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
The Sr. Manager is a high level of customer service role, managing a staff of Absence & STD specialists who work with employers, employees and health care providers to administer an integrated Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) rights and responsibilities, Paid Family Medical Leave, Paid Family Leave, and Short Term Disability claims. Is a subject matter expert for internal partners, clients and claimants and provides advice and counsel regarding leave administration and effectively coordinates all cases/claims in compliance with the FMLA and all related employment laws. Responsible for the teams’ performance and meeting the established operational area standards for the professional management of both routine and complex claims for Group Short Term Disability.This position will be required to assist in finalist presentations, the implementation of new business, and developing new business processes. Will be responsible for establishing and expanding partnerships within the company in order to develop and maintain an effective and integrated process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Possesses excellent Disability and Absence Management knowledge with demonstrated expertise in Federal/State FMLA, short-term disability, statutory disability plans, and ADA. Will work within a team environment among a peer group and business partners with related subject matter expertise to service client needs related to absence, disability and accommodations. The responsibilities include:
- Interprets and administers leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.).
- Facilitation and engagement in interactive dialogue with employees, medical professionals, supervisors, and HR business partners to assist employees.
- Provides strong leadership and direction to a team who specialize in Absence and STD claims management.
- Manages the team’s performance ensuring expectations of service standards are met.
- Accountable for talent development, including selection, retention, performance management, and resource development responsibilities.
- Develops a high performing and motivated staff.
- Establishes and maintains a supportive learning environment by ensuring continuous development, training and growth of specialists.
- Is actively involved in the teams work, setting objectives, creating plans, assigning work, addressing team performance issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Documentation of the request for absence including detailed points of contact and actions taken to coordinate the accommodation request.
- Reviews and signs off on claim payments within established limits and/or reviews recommendations made by medical resources to determine proper disposition of claims.
- Sets claim action plans to ensure that determinations are adjudicated in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Interprets contractsand ensures consistent, fair claims practices and adherence to appropriate laws, regulations, and procedures.
- Protect and maintain personal health information with a high level of confidentiality abiding by Sun Life procedures and by HIPPA rules and regulations.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 4+ years of Absence and STD claims experience.
- Previous management experience in related industry strongly preferred.
- Communicating effectively and professionally with a wide variety of both internal and external Sun Life business partners, peers and resources.
- Effective ability to use legal resources and demonstrate a proven ability to comprehend and interpret legal and medical terminology in order to make final decisions to approve or further investigate claims
- Attention to detail with documentation, reporting and communication.
- Demonstration of strong mathematical skills for calculations and adjustment of claim payments.
- Facilitation skills in a variety of circumstances and with a wide variety of input. Ability to influence and teach.
- Abe to set direction, monitor performance and initiate and communicate changes in direction as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others to achieve results.
- Able to build agreement on actions by resolving conflicts in an open and positive manner.
- Manages performance of employees in a constructive and timely way.
- Able to promote change and build understanding, acceptance and commitment of that change.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize work and multi-task.
- Strong research, analytical, critical thinking, problem solving skills and decision-making skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, with the ability to be both pleasant and professional.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to initiate and prioritize regular work duties and projects.
- Detail oriented, organized, the ability to multi-task, and strong time management skills.
- Strong computer skills, proficient in PC environment and MS Word, Excel, and email systems.
- Ability to work professionally and effectively with co-workers, clients, claimants, vendors and others with whom Sun Life does business.
It is the policy of SLF U.S. that we will recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles, and ensure that all other personnel actions are administered, without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex (including but not limited to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, or other legally protected status, and we will ensure that all employment decisions are based only on valid job requirements.
For applicants residing in California, please read our employee .
Claims – Life & Disability
Posting End Date:
Sun Life Financial is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. Sun Life Financial is committed to building a diverse and inclusive company culture.
Sun Life Financial is a leading provider of group insurance benefits in the U.S., helping people protect what they love about their lives. More than just a name, Sun Life symbolizes our brand promise of making life brighter – for our customers, partners, and communities. Join our talented, diverse workforce and launch a rewarding career. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us to learn more.