Senior Clinical Veterinarian
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Senior Clinical Veterinarian
Scientist, PostDoctoral Associate, Professor/Faculty
The Senior Clinical Veterinarian directs the clinical care of sick and injured mice at JAX Bar Harbor and works to assure JAX policies and procedures are appropriate to ensure the health and welfare of JAX mice through continued compliance with relevant laws and regulations (consistent with OLAW Assurance) and continued AAALACi accreditation.This individual leads and participates in research projects in support of JMCRS and/or In-vivo Services, and may present courses or research results at conferences.
Provides guidance and support in regards to veterinary clinical medicine. Leads Clinical Laboratory Animal Medicine (CLAM) in Bar Harbor and assists the Associate Veterinarian in leading Surgical Services.
- Participates as a veterinary member of the Animal Care and Use Committee including protocol review and policy writing.
- In conjunction with the JAX Trainers, provides biomethods training to animal care associates and research personnel.
- Responds to questions and concerns raised by JAX employees and customers related to the care, use, health, and welfare of mice. Assists the Sr. Manager of Regulatory Affairs and Manger of Regulatory Compliance in responding to and resolving animal care and welfare issues that threaten to compromise the Laboratory’s ability to conduct animal research or distribute animals.
- Participates in and leads research studies in collaboration with JMCRS, In-vivo and other members of CMQ. Participates in writing research reports and where appropriate, may assist in applying for grant funding, internal or external.
- Works with Pathologists, Chief of Diagnostic Services, and Biosecurity Officer to investigate unusual clinical cases or cases involving known or suspected infectious disease. Also, signs/negotiates health certificates.
- DVM/VMD degree and a U.S. license to practice veterinary medicine; possesses qualifications needed to become licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Maine and to become certified by USDA in Maine.
- At least 2 years experience working as a laboratory animal veterinarian; completion of a laboratory animal residency program a plus.
- Certification in a relevant veterinary specialty, e.g., ACLAM.
- Skill in reading and comprehending technical specifications, laws, and codes as they relate to regulatory compliance.
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills to prioritize complex tasks, projects, and workflow, and uses independent judgment to make decisions regarding operations and deadlines.
- Possess traits of good judgment, confidentiality, and discretion with colleagues and constituents.
- Proven ability to analyze and synthesize information and demonstrated resourcefulness in finding appropriate solutions to problems and initiative in presenting alternatives and implementing solutions to ensure effective change and/or eliminate or mitigate potential negative effects.
- Demonstrated positive attitude and professional manner in all interactions; demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others in person and in writing to clearly exchange information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels of sophistication.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.