Senior Manager, Metabolic Phenotyping
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Senior Manager, Metabolic Phenotyping
The Senior Manager of Metabolic Phenotyping is experienced in the field of energy balance and glucose homeostasis with extensive expertise in phenotyping mouse models of metabolic disorders and aging. The successful candidate will provide scientific and technical leadership within the Centerfor Biometric Analysis (CBA) in mouse metabolic phenotyping for a range of biomedical domains including diabetes, obesity, tissue homeostasis, metabolic syndrome and exercise physiology. This experienced, PhD level scientist supports the strategic vision for the Jackson Laboratory’s (JAX) CBA,and has direct oversight of core facility infrastructure, staff, and operations for metabolic phenotyping. They will deliver sustained growth and development of metabolic phenotyping activities within the CBA. This scientist will be responsible for collaborating with JAX Faculty and staff at all levels including junior technical staff, postdocs and senior scientists, to provide training, consultation on experimental design, study execution, data analysis and biological interpretation. Development and implementation of new platforms and technologies, and adaptation of established phenotyping paradigms to test on wild-derived mouse strains, will be another major component of the role.
Provide scientific leadership and technical excellence in metabolic phenotyping.
- Deliver operational excellence in metabolic phenotyping.
- Demonstrate superlative leadership and line management skills to build and maintain a highly productive, effective, professional, and competent team, ensuring data quality lies at the center of all that you do, whilst recognizing the need for fiscal prudence and time sensitivities.
- Develop, on-board and optimize new technology platforms and new protocols for existing platforms based on projected demand from clients and developments in the field of mouse genetics and metabolism. Particular focus will be on establishing phenotyping paradigms to test wild-derived mouse strains.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD and =5 years’ experience in a relevant discipline with direct experience and demonstrable knowledge of metabolic phenotyping in mice, as evidenced by a strong publication record. Proventrack record in the execution, analysis and interpretation of a wide range of metabolic phenotyping including metabolic substance tolerance testing, indirect calorimetry, body composition, coretemperature monitoring, exercise endurance treadmill and glucose clamps.
- =5 years’ recent experience setting-up, validating and consistently conducting outstanding scientificresearch using gold standard metabolic phenotyping platforms in mice.
- Demonstrated success in establishing SOPs, providing competency and validation training to users, and monitoring the validity of data, thereby assuring operations are within set tolerances for efficiency, delivery and quality.
- Demonstrable experience managing a successful, fiscally disciplined scientific operation, preferably a core service, within established IACUC guidelines, and regulatory & safety standards.
- Must thrive in the team setting and exhibit enthusiasm for work in a dynamic, deadline driven, high-performance, service environment.
- Successful incumbent will have an aptitude for supporting collaborative development interactions, and must be comfortable consulting with research staff and other facility users to assure quality experimental design and execution. In this context, excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills and experience are also required for contributing material towards grant applications, and writing publications, project plans, animal protocols, and interfacing with the IACUC.
- Must be a self-motivated, patient and disciplined problem solver and solution builder, with a track record in establishing and sustaining effective teams and positive working environments.
- =5years’ management experience leading scientific teams (preferred).
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.