Molecular & Cell Biology Technician
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Molecular & Cell Biology Technician
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
This is a key technical role in supporting the Genetic Engineering Technologies (GET) molecular and cellular laboratory capabilities. This individual may have a greater focus on either molecular or cellular biology or may be cross trained to support both areas.
This individual should be capable of understanding molecular design/processes, executing the necessary molecular lab protocols criticial to the creation, and validation of, genetically engineered animals. This individual reports to the Molecular Biology lab manager in GET. The Technician also works in tight alignment with GET Study Directors and other GET staff members to ensure rapid turnaround of high quality molecular data. They are expected to identify and pursue process improvements to increase capabilities and capacity.
This position may occasionally require non-standard working hours (weekends).
- Molecular biology lab activities – He/she should be capable of executing, and documenting, molecular biology protocols with highly reproducible results in an efficient and timely manner. Techniques include, but are not limited to, PCR, sequencing, plasmid cloning and scaled preparation, RNA synthesis, DNA/RNA analysis (gel restriction digests/Southern blot, Sanger sequence analysis). Accurate and detailed documentation of sample records is critical.
- General laboratory operations – Maintaining reagent inventories, monitoring/calibrating/cleaning equipment.
- SOP and Safety – Develops, writes and revises document templates and relevant SOPs. Implements and ensures SOPs are followed while adhering to laboratory safety policies.
- High performance environment – Demonstrates and drives a positive, high performance environment with a culture of teamwork, continuous improvement and customer focus. They work collaboratively within GET team to leverage expertise to maximize success and resource use. They ensure a safe work environment is maintained at all times.
- B.S. in a Molecular Biology, Genetics or related discipline.
- Minimum of one year experience wet bench experience, preferably in a molecular or cell culture based laboratory.
- Excellent research task oversight skills including adherence to procedures, best practices and detailed documentation/record keeping.
- Organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple demands and work efficiently under pressure; excellent communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively exchange information and handle problems with people from a wide variety of background levels.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize standard office software (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc) or other Project Management/LIMS software solutions.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.