Patient Service Representative
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Topsham, ME 04086
The position of Patient Services Representative, CMH (PSR), is
responsible for performing diversified coordination and participation in
a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process,
patient identification, patient check in/out, charge posting, cash
management and patient appointment scheduling. Position also involves
customer service, message distribution, and ancillary scheduling and
preparation and referrals management. Responsible for accurate and
complete patient accounts based on organization standards, policies and
procedures, HIPAA , and compliance with regulatory agencies, to include
but not limited to pre-registration and registration functions. The PSR
performs all functions under guidance and direction from the Practice
1) Serves as the champion of the patient experience
2) Engages patients utilizing exceptional customer service
practices in alignment with the *Five Must Haves;*
Greet people with a smile, friendly eye contact and say hello
Take people where they are going, rather than point or give directions
Use key words at key times. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”
Foster an attitude of gratitude.
Round with reason and purpose.
3) Prepares for clinic visits by reviewing next day patients and
completing next day preparation activities.
4) Maintains private physician office charts.
5) Checks-in patient upon arrival in the practice. Identify correct
patient information in Cerner Revenue Cycle. Verify patient demographic
data. Present and educate patients on required forms and obtain
signature as required by policy and procedure.
6) Collects and posts payments and balances on accounts. Completes
daily reconciliation of cash, reconciliation of appointment and charges
and follow procedures according to standards. Copy, files and scans
insurance cards as indicated by procedure.
7) Utilizes centralized scheduling system and software applications
to schedule appointments. Verifies and updates patients’ demographic
information, eligibility, and transfers to registration for update per
organization policy, procedures and standards.
8) Schedules tests and procedures. Completes and distributes
ancillary service requisitions.
9) Checks-out patients. Makes return appointments by scheduling
patients into the correct appointment type, entering the primary care
provider or referring provider and scheduling tests and procedures.
10) Communicates with patients and staff by using multiple advanced
communication tools, including phone call handling telecommunication
system, emails, faxes and on-line chats and on-line scheduling
11) Answers telephone, take and deliver messages to physicians, nurses
and others. Reports obtained medical information from patients and
referring provider accurately, completely and timely. Disseminate
messages, mail and forms according to practice communication standards.
12) Upholds CMH policies and procedures.
13) Participates in orientation, training programs and attends
meetings as required.
14) Performs other related duties as assigned or described by the
Education and Experience:
1) High school diploma or equivalent
2) Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating
and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare
3) Prior medical office experience and knowledge of medical
4) Demonstrated proficiency with data entry/keyboarding
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1) Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills
2) Ability to perform multiple tasks or activities simultaneously
to provide an exceptional patient experience
3) Ability to prioritize and use critical thinking skills
4) Effectively communicate with patients in a supportive and
5) Identify and apply effective service recovery opportunities
6) Ability to remain calm in a busy or stressful situation
7) Represent the organization in a positive manner, support and
encourages strong morale within the team and maintain effective,
professional relationships with others