Bioinformatics Analyst II/III - Churchill Lab
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Bioinformatics Analyst II/III – Churchill Lab
Biostatistician, Computational Scientist, Scientific Software Engineer
The Churchill Lab is seeking a Bioinformatics Analyst to join our research (50%) and training (50%) efforts in Bar Harbor, Maine. The Churchill Lab applies a systems approach to study the genetics of health and disease, incorporating new statistical methods for the investigation of complex disease-related traits in the mouse ( ). We employ a combination of strategies to investigate the genetic basis of these complex traits. The Churchill Lab has a longstanding and successful tradition of training the next generation of researchers and is integral to a growing bioinformatics training program in JAX Genomic Education. We employ evidence-based teaching methods promoted by , an international organization with a mission to train researchers in best practices for data science and computing.
We invite applications from highly motivated individuals who are eager to acquire new knowledge and grow new skill sets in a team environment. Candidates with a background in statistics or genetics are preferred. The Bioinformatics Analyst position offers an exciting opportunity for junior researchers to grow their research experience and skills broadly and thoroughly in both research and teaching. We firmly promote their professional career advancement.
- Mining genome-scale data and interpreting results.
- Performing statistical analysis, algorithm implementation, data visualization, and bioinformatics programming; packaging and interpreting results.
- Training researchers in best practices for data science and computing.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, statistics, computational biology, or relevant field.
- Level II requires M.S. or Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics or relevent biological sciences degree. Candidates who have not earned a Ph.D., may compensate with a Masters degree and at least five years of professional work experience in bioinformatics. Works with limited supervision for tasks performed.
- Level III requires M.S. or Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics or relevent biological sciences degree. Candidates who have not earned a Ph.D. will have at least seven years professional work experience in the bioinformatics domain. Candidates with a Ph.D. will have completed a bioinformatics postdoctoral fellowship and/or have a minimum of two years of professional work experience in the bioinformatics domain.
- Expertise in scientific programming languages (such as R and Python)
- The ideal candidate will have experience in genetics and genomic analyses, with particular expertise in integrative analysis of transcriptomic, proteomic, metabolomic, and curated data.
To apply, please submit (1) a cover letter describing research experiences and career goals; (2) a current CV/résumé; and (3) names and contact information for three references.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, pre-employment physical, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.