TRIO Upward Bound - Summer 2020 - Lead Guide- Temp
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Gorham, ME 04038
TRIO Upward Bound – Summer 2020 – Lead Guide- Temporary
Upward Bound – PUPW
Salary Band/Wage Band:
Monday – Friday 8am – 4:30 pm, nights and weekends as necessary
Statement of Job:
Summer 2020 TRIO Upward Bound at USM, located on Gorham Campus
Lead Guide – 1 position
June 17th through August 7th
This is a full time, residential, temporary position, including 6 weeks of programming and 1.5 weeks of training.
In collaboration with Upward Bound year-round staff, the Lead Guide will provide leadership and co-supervision for five Guides. The Lead Guide provides leadership in creating and maintaining a high quality living and learning experience designed to educate, advise, challenge and develop students in the Upward Bound summer program. The program will include a 5-week residential summer session on USM’s Gorham campus for 55 Upward Bound students entering the 10th and 11th grades followed by a one-week session for 36 students entering the 12th grade. The Lead Guide establishes and maintains a positive and safe residence hall atmosphere that is sensitive to the diverse cultures, traditions, lifestyles, and beliefs of Upward Bound at USM’s students and staff. The Lead Guide will lead residence staff in communicating and maintaining program expectations, guidelines, and taking responsibility for University of Southern Maine and Upward Bound property.
- Consults and coordinates with Upward Bound staff in all areas of the summer program.
- Coordinates with UB staff to meet student health needs including medication distribution and overnight emergency medical care.
- Implements opening and closing of the UB residence hall including coordinating Guides’ work assignments, room inventories, keys, and cleaning.
- Supervises and assists with weekend student check-in and check-out procedures.
- Initially responds to students who do not meet program expectations and guidelines or who experience personal crises and issues. In consultation with UB staff, makes recommendations to guides for further action using a strength-based problem solving model.
- Directs Guides in maintaining a safe and secure residence hall, including taking responsibility for USM and Upward Bound property.
- Assists Guides in developing and implementing elective curriculum.
- Facilitates electives, guided study, and other UB activities.
- Transports students to and from internships/field trips/activities in UB van as requested.
- Assists with summer food service program compliance.
- Supervises students on field trips as scheduled.
- Is perceptive to staff needs and provides support as needed.
- Interacts with students during both structured and non-structured UB activities.
- Develops positive and supportive relationships with Upward Bound students, mentoring them on personal, social, and college/career concerns and maintaining student confidentiality as appropriate. Establishes and maintains appropriate professional boundaries with students, Guides, teachers and UB staff.
- Models appropriate behavior at all times when students and Guides are present, recognizing the ways in which a Lead Guide serves as a model for UB students and Guides.
- Willing to complete van driver certification through the University.
- Performs other tasks as reasonably assigned by UB supervisor and other year-round staff.
Days and Hours:
Lead Guide training starts June 17 Wednesday
Hall opens for staff move-in: June 21 Sunday (afternoon)
Staff training begins: June 21 Sunday (evening)
Residential program begins: June 28 Sunday
Residential program ends: August 6 Thursday
Staff close-out: August 7 Friday
Hall closes – staff move-out: August 7 Friday
Generally each week students check-in on Sundays and are in residence until late Friday afternoon. Staff are expected to spend most of their time with students including eating all meals in the dining hall, supervising and being involved in student activities, and being present in the residence hall. Hours for training and when residential staff are specifically on or off duty during the days students are in residence will be provided during staff training.
Stipend: $3700 PLUS ROOM AND BOARD (no staff meals are provided when students are not in residence; meals will be provided during the week of staff training)
- Completed at least three years of college and currently be in good academic standing
- Demonstrated strong academic and leadership skills
- At least 21 years old with a valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record; any job offer is contingent upon the University’s approval of the applicant to drive
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with low-income and/or first generation college-bound high school students
- Camp counselor or residence hall leadership experience
Materials must be submitted via “Apply for position.” You will create an applicant profile and complete an application. You will need to upload a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae and a list of the names and contact information for three references.
All required materials must be submitted by April 17, 2020.
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
Work Year Calendar:
Fiscal Year (Less than 12 months)
Cover Letter, CV/Resume, References
The University of Southern Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).