COOK AHC - Mars Hill
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Mars Hill, ME 04758
The Cook is responsible for the preparation and cooking of proper
amounts of food items, desserts, salads and other prep work.
Standardized recipes, portion control, and preparation methods are used
as prescribed by State and Federal guidelines. May be required to
supervise a crew of up to six (6) in the area of cooking and food
preparations. Is responsible for the cleanliness of work area and for
safe, sanitary handling of food, equipment, and supplies. May be
responsible for other food preparation tasks as assigned by the
01. Coordinates the cooking operation and the functions of proper food
preparation for patient/resident/cafeteria customers food consumption.
02. Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and
03. Maintains high standards of sanitation in all areas.
04. Participates in various meetings as necessary.
05. Ensures all products and food items are stored in accordance with
AR Gould policies, adhering to State and Federal Law.
06. Coordinates the deliveries and food production in accordance with
assignments from the Supervisor/Manager.
07. Helps control food costs through the use of standardized recipes,
portion control, and food specifications.
08. Ensures the servers are adhering to proper holding temperatures for
both hot and cold foods.
09. Oversees the handling of daily inventory.
10. Maintains proper production records.
11. Ensures all foods are served according to the diet manual.
12. Participates in departmental Performance Improvement program as
13. Completes other projects and duties as assigned by the
Works in a hot, fast paced food production kitchen. At times conditions
may be stressful. At times dealing with extreme temperature changes as
evidenced when entering freezers.
Sitting – only during approved breaks.
Standing/Walking – most of shift.
Lifting – must be able to lift up to 50 pounds using good body
Twisting/Bending/Squatting – moderate amount.
Hands/Arms/Wrist – must have good range of motion.
Vision – must be able to read and comprehend a grade 12 level of
Hearing – ability to hear items whispered at 3 feet (FAA Class III) is
Speech – must be able to speak and legibly write English.
Pushing/Pulling – must be able to push/pull a cart distances greater
than 30 feet manually or with assistive devices.
1. High school diploma or equivalent preferred, but not
2. Education in Culinary Arts is preferred, but on the job
training is available.
3. Some computer education and entry level experience.
1. Minimum of 6 months experience in a food production capacity
preferred, but not required.
2. On the job training is provided as necessary.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to work in a kitchen with a production crew who are
involved in both general and therapeutic diets (on the job training
2. Ability to communicate in English effectively in both written
and verbal form.
3. Ability to analyze problems, formulate sound solutions,
properly present these solutions for approval and implement such
4. Ability to maintain a good rapport with others, including
members of the health care team, subordinates, supervisors, and vendors.
5. Ability to organize and prioritize workflow.
6. Strong leadership attributes including professionalism and the
ability to plan, assign, direct and evaluate the work of subordinate
7. Knowledge of basic principles of organization and general food
Ability to follow oral and written direction thoroughly