Director of Business Development (Philadelphia/NY/
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Director of Business Development (Philadelphia/NY/Baltimore based)
Marketing, Customer Support and Business Development
The Jackson Laboratory has an excellent opportunity for a Director of Business Development (Philadelphia/New York/Baltimore based) supporting In Vivo Services, Breeding, and Model Generation….Join one of the nation’s oldest biomedical research institutions and help contribute to our mission of improving lives through discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease!
Reporting to the Senior Director, Global Opportunity Development & Marketing and working closely with the Business Unit (BU) Manager, JMCRS Services, the incumbent is responsible for increasing revenue generated by product and service sales within the assigned Business Unit (BU). Demonstrates a high-level of expertise in the utilization of the mouse as a platform for basic biomedical and drug discovery research and in the solutions provided by the Laboratory to solve research problems. The incumbent interacts with decision makers within the assigned market segment and throughout The Lab to secure high value projects that leverage the science of The Laboratory and contribute to our mission.
The incumbent provides management and oversight that includes developing sales plans, implementation of plans, and reporting of results to JMCRS stakeholders. Measures of success include revenue performance versus established sales targets and accepted projects (won opportunities – new and renewed) and expanding the market share of the Laboratory by increasing the number of commercial accounts/customers. Additionally, the incumbent will work closely with the ODM regional territory managers as a scientific and technical resource with the primary objectives of developing, refining and implementing strategy for accounts/targets of high strategic value to the Laboratory within the business unit.
In addition, the incumbent is responsible for successfully identifying and closing opportunities independently or collaboratively with regional Opportunity Development Managers in assigned market segments that position JMCRS as a preferred supplier. The incumbent interacts with decision makers within the assigned market segments to convert high-value projects from competitors, increasing market-share and leverages the science of The Laboratory and contribute to our mission.
- Meet or exceed the financial goal(s) for highly complex services delivered by The Laboratory by working in a collaborative manner with the Business Development, Opportunity Development regional managers, Marketing and other internal teams throughout the organization.
- Execute a successful sales conversion strategy that increases market share for competitive product and service offerings at key commercial and academic accounts.
- Independently identify, assemble and present creative sales solutions to Business Unit Managers (BUMs) that result in large awarded studies.
- Proactively identify new customers, especially high-level commercial contacts and provide solutions that create long standing relationships to address their unique needs.
- Proactively maintain Salesforce.com – database with updated customer information as well as updated pipeline information on all business
- Serve as the primary BU technical and scientific expert in the field. Use this knowledge to assist in the refinement of BU sales strategy and tactical approach throughout all territories. Master and deliver product presentations in the field.
- Travel with Subject Matter Experts (SME’s)regional Opportunity Development Managers to ensure their tactical sales approach is aligned with overall BU strategy and assist in providing product and service specific training and expertise to improve their technical competency.
- Actively seek, analyze and communicate market trends, intelligence and competitor information to management. Work with BUMs, Marketing and Sales to respond rapidly to changing markets and strategize new approaches for improving revenue performance.
- Demonstrate commitment to creating a high-performance culture and positive work environment. Includes continued effort toward improving the customer experience, coping with and supporting change, commitment to a solution driven approach to problem solving, and embracing leadership opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
An advanced degree in Science or Business in addition to 5 years or more of direct business experience in biomedical or animal science sales including documented, successful territory management, strategic account development, and a demonstrated ability to mentor peers and/or team. Must have direct In Vivo sales experience.
Demonstrated ability to develop, initiate and execute complex business strategies and to develop significant new accounts.
Demonstrated technical and scientific expertise relevant to the sale and support of JMCRS products and services.
Advanced interpersonal skills sufficient for developing complex, dynamic relationships with a diverse variety of individuals representing a broad cross-section of cultures, disciplines and levels of sophistications.
Advanced verbal and written skills sufficient to communicate with senior business managers in customer organizations.
Ability to travel up to 60%.
Ability to make important decisions carrying large financial consequences, often under some pressure and tight time deadlines.
Ability to effectively persuade and influence the thinking of others through social and verbal interactions and presence.
Demonstrated ability to be a positive team player across diverse internal and external organizations.
Ability to formulate, implement and evaluate complex plans and programs.
Must possess valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite… For full info follow application link.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.