Convenience Store Manager
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Machias, ME 04654
The Convenience Store Manager is responsibility for the overall store operations to include budgetary, financial performance and profitability and through building and coaching a team of employees that consistently and safely customer experience better than anyone else.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note other duties may be assigned.
Maintain and Grow Culture:
• Demonstrates dedicated commitment to our COMPANY PURPOSE of being “More Than You’d Expect” by exceeding the expectations of all those that we serve.
• WORKPLACE SAFETY is the responsibility of all associates. Is responsible for ensuring all employees work in a safe manner by abiding by safety policies, procedures, and expectations, and by notifying management promptly of any unsafe conditions or concerns.
• Maintains commitment to our Customer Promises by demonstrating TEAMWORK AND POSITIVE ATTITUDE and will apply its meaning and purpose with all others, including but not limited to, employees, customers, and vendors.
• Contributes to a CREATIVE and INNOVATIVE work environment by maintaining a culture where all employees can share ideas and suggestions that will enhance results of a particular process or function, job or department, or overall company.
Sustain and Grow Operations:
• Accountable for administering and maintaining operations by ensuring store is clean, well-stocked and staffed according weekly budgeted hours.
• Monitors store financial and operational performance, and achieving profitability goals.
• Responsible for following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and oversee employees performing the tasks in the SOPs. These SOPs include but are not limited to: daily paperwork responsibilities, ELP, safety, cash control, merchandise and fuel inventory management, human resources, marketing, etc.
• Responsible to ensure all paperwork is executed and followed per Freshies operation manual, to include but not limited to: inventory counts, spoilage reporting, inventory ordering, production requirements, sales reporting, etc.
• Manages vendor relationships to include ordering and receiving. This includes ordering merchandise or preparing requisitions to replenish merchandise on hand.
• Ensures all food safety and sanitation procedures are followed as outlined in Freshies Operation Manual and standards are followed per state of Maine Department of Health Food and Sanitation guidelines.
• Answers customer’s complaints or inquiries.
• Executes marketing and promotion to company’s promotional calendar.
• Coordinates sales promotion activities and prepares, or directs workers preparing, merchandise displays and advertising copy ensures all marketing materials and displays, are in good condition at all times.
• Completes daily gas surveys and changes gas prices only per direction of Territory or Operations Manager or from direction from Corporate.
• Follow company Pricebook expectations changing merchandising pricing per Daily Price Change Report.
• Manages all Security Protocol of the store, including handling security systems.
Manage and Develop Employees:
• Responsible for day- to-day to management of staff to include building a team that delivers and exceeds expectations.
• Supervises all stores activities to include Freshies Deli.
• Plans and prepares work schedules and assigns employees to specific duties.
• Recruits, hires and trains staff that executes services standard in accordance with customer promise. Follows all company hiring expectations to include but not limited to performing referencing checking and adhering to background checking expectations.
• Ensures all staff is trained and properly executing compliance to all legal and regulatory requirements including but not limited: the sale of alcohol and tobacco, lottery, petroleum product, food safety, etc.
• Ensures compliance of employees with established security, sales, and recordkeeping procedures and practices.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Manages 2-4 subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 6-8 employees in the Convenience Retail and Freshies Deli. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises 2 to 4 non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
• Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
• Team Leadership – Fosters team cooperation; defines team roles and responsibilities; supports group problem solving; ensures progress toward goals; acknowledges team accomplishments.
• Delegation – Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
• Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
• Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• LANGUAGE SKILLS – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to use calculator, ruler or other tools needed to perform duties.
• REASONING ABILITY – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• COMPUTER SKILLS – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Accounting software; Internet software; Order processing systems; Payroll systems; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Candidate must have or obtain Serve Safe Certification and Tank Smart Certification in the first six (6) months of employment. Both certifications need to be maintained.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
RH Foster is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry or national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job.